Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Opinions on this cartouche?

Just picked this up on a 1941 rifle....is this the correct cartouche, not faked? It looks right age wise, sorry for the lousy photos. The double struck nature of it has me concerned but I've seen other SA arms with double strikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to ask is this the same Paladin that was on CMP and would constantly bash me about verifying cartouches? The one that would put doubt in everyone's mind to the help I was giving? I have to ask only to make sure before I comment. Rick B

3. Default

Nope.....must be a different dude. I don't post on the CMP site and I'm pretty humble.....I don't bash anybody but Hopey Changey types.........
    Last edited by Paladin; 06-07-2014 at 05:04.

My money is on this cartouche being real. How about it Rick. Different "paladin".

I've seen others (genuine) where that part was double-struck, and the placement of the punctuation vis the lettering appears right. But that's acc to what I've learned from Rick. He mighty still see something else I don't see.

Happy to hear and I had to ask as I would not help that guy for anything. This is a Legit GHS you posted and very nicely struck. So many are light on one of the two stamps and it is not often to see both so deep. Hope this helps. Rick B

7. Default

Now I have to ask. What is the main cause of these "double strikes"? Could it be just a bounce of the hammer or maybe whoever was doing the stamping just wasn't happy with the way the first one looked or is this another of the "we will never know for sure" things? Just curious.

Blog Entries

Die bouncing on the stock, think of it like a bouncing diving board after the jump.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 06-10-2014 at 10:10.

Hi, new to this fine forum and wanted to add my .02 cents worth. Double strikes of "cartouches" are sometime done on restruck stocks to hide a forgery, or sometime to try and increase it's "Gunshow" value. Kind of hard to tell if a Cartouche is genuine from pictures unless there is more detail. Could look like a genuine cartouche, but say Boyds in the channel and that completely changes the game.

Stockdoc

le.
    Last edited by Rick B; 06-14-2014 at 07:16. Reason: MIstake