Thread: Krag stock

Default Krag stock

I recently aquired a Krag rifle with a full lenght stock. The barrel had some issues with rust that I am taking care of now. The stock has a coat of varnish but the cartouches are still present. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use to remove the varnish yet safe enough to keep the original finish and the cartouches? Thanks for any help.

I am of the opinion that it can not be done. The cartouches will be in no danger, but to remove varnish (if it really is varnish) would take a remover and that will remove down to bare wood, including much of the color. I would try to just knock the shine down with steel wool (0000) and with a solvent to help lubricate. Try alcahol first, just wetting the steel wool. Acetone next, which works very well with that spray stock finish, the name escapes me!

Denatured alcohol will assist in cutting the varnish. But the stock will require being finished with boiled linseed oil.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Varnish will almost always have to be removed with paint Stripper. All other stuff will either not affect it or make it sticky. Rick B

I agree with Rick (and you can take his opinions to the bank - he KNOWS his stuff!). I've used Jasco semi-paste paint stripper a few times. It isn't as effective on varnish as it is on paint, but still gets the job done with little or no damage to the finish underneath and none to the inspection stamps, as long as you don't use anything "offensive" like heavy steel wool.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

I agree with Rick and Rick in that chemical paint stripper is the way to go to remove old varnish without damaging the wood and cartouches. The key is to avoid any use of abrasives; just wipe off the chemical strip with a paper towel. After you strip off the finish, you gently scrub the stock with 0000 steel wool dipped in alcohol to clean off the remaining surface dirt/crud/leftover chemical strip. Then you rub in by hand Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO). The BLO will immediately restore the dark patina to dull stripped stock. After rubbing in the BLO, let it stand for 30 min then wipe off all excess with a paper towel to avoid any drips, etc. Often I use 50/50 BLO-Turpentine for the first application so the first coat penetrates better. Just to be clear, the stock will look "lighter" than it did before you stripped the varnish, but it will still retain a dark patina and you will be pleased to have restored the stock with an original BLO finish. If you sand the stock, then for sure the stock will look too light and not correct for the rifle. Here are some before - during - after photos of stock I just restored the same way as described above so you can see if you want to go that route
    [IMG][/IMG]