Default "Colorized" Clawson books?

No, not really. That's just wishful thinking for most collectors of the vintage .45 military and commercial pistols. The black & white photos shown iin most reference books do show what markings look like, but simply can't show variations in original finish.

I recently created a new category in the Gallery at my site with (73) listings. 63 of those items were acquired from the Charles W. Clawson collection. Some were acquired from other collectors and are pictured in the Clawson books. I show 44 pieces that are shown in Clawson's Colt .45 Service Pistols, Colt Government Models and his 3rd Edition Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols. Several pieces are shown in multiple books.

As nice and interesting as most of the pistols in the books are, what is perhaps most interesting are some of the great pieces Mr. Clawson had collected that were never featured in his books. He often elected to show examples from the collections of other collectors, rather than his own. I show nearly 20 pieces from Mr. Clawson's collection that were never published.

Overall, there are more than 1300 photographs in the new section of the Gallery. Some of those images are for 5-6 other recent acquisitions that are not shown in the books or from the Clawson collection.

Here are a few examples of pieces shown in the books:

A few pieces acquired from Mr. Clawson's collection that were never shown in his books:
    His 1938 Colt M1911A1

His rare Royal Norwegian Naval Service pistol

Photos of his rare WWI contract magazine made by Raymond Engineering (1 of only ca. 4000)

And finally, his late 2.36M serial range WWII J.S.B. inspected Colt M1911A1

Obviously, there is a lot more information in the Clawson books than just photos. Every serious collector needs the reference books. And of course, I did not acquire all the guns shown in Mr. Clawson's books, nor all the guns from his fine collection. But I have managed to acquire the vast majority of what I sought for my own collection and am pleased to share images of them and information about them in the Gallery at my site.

Along with the guns, I received a lot of documentation. Mr. Clawson is perhaps the most skilled researcher I've ever known. He provided great provenance with many of his pistols. There certainly is the "wow" factor when all the pieces of the puzzle come together for a rarely encountered example. My hat's off to him for all he has contributed to the hobby. This new section of my Gallery is just a small way to emphasize that.
    Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 05-30-2014 at 08:33.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Scott, did you mean 2.36 million?

Serial number 45236 is a little early for the final patent date on the slide, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
    Serial number 45236 is a little early for the final patent date on the slide, isn't it?
    Yes, it would be. But those are two different pistols. The second pistol is a 1917 in the 173xxx range. Dull blue on the first pistol, brushed blue on the second pistol, then the commercial oven blue on the Russian and the 1920 GM.
    www.m1911info.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wilson View Post
    Scott, did you mean 2.36 million?
    Yes, thanks. 2.362M
    www.m1911info.com

6. Default

Very nice, thank you for the pictures. I am a subscriber of your wonderful site and have had much use from the clear and high-quality pics and the descriptions.

Maybe not the correct venue but would you consider adding a section to the site? I (and probably many others) am wondering how to care for old guns, 1911s in particular. Reason I ask is I bought a very nice English/Russian contract GM (found in a cabin near the Russian border here in Finland), with some tiny specks of rust on the frame. I am VERY scared of doing something stupid in cleaning too much, so I haven't done anything to the rust yet. What I'm looking for is a tutorial of cleaning, caring and preserving these beautiful pistols.

Anyways, thanks again for the nice site and your knowledge

Thanks. If you contact me through my site and send me a few photos showing the rust, I'll try to offer some help on how to remove it without damaging any of the remaining finish. You have been wise not to do anything, rather than doing the wrong thing. Chances are, the pistol will clean up just fine.
    www.m1911info.com

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer View Post
    Thanks. If you contact me through my site and send me a few photos showing the rust, I'll try to offer some help on how to remove it without damaging any of the remaining finish. You have been wise not to do anything, rather than doing the wrong thing. Chances are, the pistol will clean up just fine.
    Scott, I sent you a message through the site. Here are the pics again, I took some new ones (no macro still but the rust should be visible, for instance next to the AZ stamp). It is really hard to get good pics of the bluing on this pistol, it's either really black or really "white".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check your e-mail.
    www.m1911info.com

Thanks a lot Scott for these always beautiful pictures and interesting infos , I subscribed as well for a couple year in your website which is a great reference and very detailed site on M1911A1.
    That'll be a great help for all collectors.
    Last edited by Mikecp; 06-09-2014 at 11:09.