Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Man there's a lot to this! I've spent half the day so far doing research about correct stocks, forearms & rear sights, constabulary carbines, and on and on... These Krags have a lot of history. I wish they could talk.

One reason I like Krags (and I've brought this up before) is that in the 10 or so years they were a first-line rifle, they saw a LOT of service! Spanish-American War, "Boxer" Rebellion, Philippine Insurrection and various Latin-American interventions, to name but a few.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Not to mention rear echelon duty in the Great War (WW1).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Smokechaser View Post
    Thanks for that good info! Since I have the carbine 1901 rear sight, would I need the upper handguard that has the "hump" ?
    Yes.

Thanks 70ish, I thought so. Does anyone have any idea how to disassemble that 1901 rear sight? I have it submerged in a tuna can of Kroil right now to loosen things up. I want to break it down to clean and re-blue it, but how it comes apart is kind of a mystery.

My .02, just do enough work on the rear sight to make it functional.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

+1 on Mark's suggestion. I wouldn't re-blue anything. Better to make the sight functional, but keep it original.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Another reason I wanted to disassemble the 1901 rear sight was to tweak the spring that holds tension on the elevation bar, but the closer I look I don't see any way to break it down without possibly damaging it. I'll just leave it alone and be happy because it will function fine like it is.

I've seen some barrel bands with sling swivels, and some without. Which one is appropriate for a carbine?

No swivels on a carbine. Carried on a shoulder strap attached to the sling bar on the 96 and early 98 short stock carbines. Long stock 98 and 99's were carried free and just uses a scabbard.