Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That's my plan, to locate a decent used carbine stock or an aftermarket one and make the gun look correct. I installed a new CMP stock on a Garand not too long ago which turned out beautiful, so I'm looking forward to doing this Krag too. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can locate a new stock & handguard set? Thanks.

S&S has replacement stocks. Boyds also has Krag stocks, but be very careful with Boyds... I have heard that the stock requires a great deal of carving and fitting to make it correct. Check out the following links for a couple stock companies:

http://www.dunlap-woodcrafts.com/MilitaryStocks.php#23
    http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.a...28&filter=krag
    http://gunstockduplicating.com/index.html

Also keep an eye on EBay because they do pop up from time to time.

Barrel bands and other bits and pieces can be purchased from Joe DeChristopher at this site: http://www.tradenet.net/joede/

Good Luck with the restoration... It should be awesome if done right!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

psteinmayer, thanks for the great information and your time to post it. I'm on the hunt for all the parts right now!

You'd want an 1899 carbine stock, going back to the 1896 short stock it was originally issued with would require you to get an 1896 carbine sight, and they're expensive.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Hate to be picky, but the short stock situation is worse than that, cause it is only an 1896 type, remember the bolt notch - finding a proper original M1898 short stock is out of the question - so, go with the 1899 for sure.

Thanks for that good info! Since I have the carbine 1901 rear sight, would I need the upper handguard that has the "hump" ?

Smoke,

Don't be 'fraid to spend a little money. Most 1898 "carbines" are fake. Yours wasn't even trying to call itself a carbine, which makes me think it could be the real thing. How's that for cowboy logic?

Good luck!

jn

Smokechaser, Your serial number doesn't make a hit in the SRS listings. At $60.00 it would be awfully hard to go wrong. John

JN, cowboy logic works for me! I was able to remove the rear sight this evening after using a little kroil oil. I don't think it's been off the barrel in 100 years! The windage and elevation adjustments were quite frozen in place, but I was able to get them moving again. I ran a patch through the bore and it glided through like silk, except for a very small section about an inch from the muzzle. There seems to be a dark area almost directly beneath the front sight post. I might be able to polish it smooth, we'll see. So John, what does it mean a rifle doesn't have a SRS listing? make

SRS is Springfield Research Service. They compiled a list of a variety of US martial arms that research found mention of the serial #s of. Hope you don't have one of the things I had that messed up a barrel for about an inch behind the muzzle. At some time mine had a mud dauber's nest in the end and it was there long enough to draw considerable moisture. I'll try to shoot it first, but have a reamer to counter bore the barrel if it won't shoot well. Might be an opportunity to post about the effect of counter boring.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson