Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New Krag owner, need some advice.

Hello Krag folks, I have been wanting a 30-40 Krag for a very long time now, and I just purchased one this evening for $60.00! It's not pretty by any means, and it's missing the safety, cut off and the magazine follower spring, but the bore looks awesome, and the action is tight. According to the serial #, this rifle appears to have been produced in 1899. It is a carbine length rifle set in a sporterized stock with the monte carol cheek piece. I do not like this stock at all and I want to restore it back to a military style stock with a barrel band. I see that the safety and spring parts I need are reasonably available, but are there any decent stocks out there? Any good advice or questions on this restoration would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of Krags!

A few questions: Does the receiver say Model 1899? If it says Model 1898, what is the serial number? What type of front sight is on the gun? Where I'm going with this is that if it's sporterized, it may also be a cutoff barrel. A rifle barrel should be 30 inches and a carbine should be exactly 22 inches, as measured from the muzzle to the closed bolt face. The front sight should be the same whether it's a rifle or carbine, and the base should be dovetailed and brazed. If it's banded, then the barrel is most likely cut. Pictures would help here...

All that notwithstanding, military stocks are available. Please note, if it is a cutoff barrel, it will never hold the same value as a true carbine, whether it's restored to military condition or not. Check EBay or Gunbroker, as original stocks do become available from time to time. Replacement stocks are also available from different companies also, but beware of some of them.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

He said it was a "carbine length rifle" and said it "appears" to be made in 1899 by serial number.

Carbine stocks are hard to come by and are very expensive, rifle stocks not so much. But there are repros out there altho I have heard good and bad about them.

It was late last night and I was excited about this Krag, I should have included more information. The receiver is stamped model 1898, The serial # is 122181, the barrel length is exactly 22" to the bolt face, and the front sight is not a banded sight, it is dovetailed & brazed. The rear sight is a 1901. I'll post some pictures this evening even though I'll be embarrassed to do so, this gun is not pretty but it's exactly what I was looking for. I love a diamond in the rough. This rifle has sentimental value to me because my dad had one when he was a kid growing up in North Dakota in the 40's & 50's, and I've always wanted one because of that. Thanks for the replies so far.

It's within the serial # range that it might have been a model 1898 carbine.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Would an 1898 carbine have the 1901 rear sight?

Not originally, it would have had an 1896 carbine sight at the time made. But if upgraded and put in a 1899 carbine stock, as many of them were, then other carbine sights are possible.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 05-30-2014 at 07:29.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

If the rear sight is a 1901, does it have the "C" on it denoting a carbine sight? It sounds like you may have the real deal, although it would need to have the correct stock, handguard etc.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Yes, the rear sight does have a "C" stamped on the side.

It sounds as if the rifle falls within the accepted carbine serial # range. I guess I would look for a carbine stock for the thing. At 60.00 you could afford to shop around for a stock and even if you have to give a few bucks for it and the band you will still be in good shape. Unless there is an SRS hit you can't prove it's an original but you have all the makings.