Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default James river armory M14 early with 762mm firearms receiver help, gunsmith

I have a James river armory early M14 with a 762mm firearms receiver that has problems. The firing pin slot in the receiver is to small and causes the bolt not to go back with the hammer down. There is a step in the receiver channel where the top rear of the bolt slides back and forth that caused deformation of the rear top of the bolt. The heel area of the receiver does not seem to be finished all the way. I need someone who can fix it for me. Any help will be appreciated. Thank You.
    Last edited by 393 stroker; 05-27-2014 at 11:42.

Contact Deans. Link can be found on this forum
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Ted Brown, look him up in the user name search and send him a message. Try Dean at DGR as well but not sure if he does receiver work on M1A's.
    Last edited by M1Riflenut; 05-28-2014 at 03:21.

Blog Entries

I'd ask over at the M14 forum. Gus Fisher and a few others are sure to know what's best. http://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

If Dean's doesn't do M14 stuff, then try Shuff's Parkerizing.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Doesn't it have a warranty? Seems like it should be covered under manufacturing defects. Thanks
    Steve

Ted Brown is at Shooters Den in oregon...

top notch guy...

Thanks for the good mention guys, but I have worked on some 7.62 Firearms receivers before and I don't choose to do any more. Like some Armscorp receivers, they were too far out of spec and just caused me a lot of grief. I need to add them to my disclaimer in my web site about those things I don't work on along with Entreprise Arms and Chinese guns.

Right now I only work on LRB Arms, Springfield Armory, Fulton, SEI, and Rock-Ola. I will occasionally work on Armscorp, but they require careful inspection to determine their acceptability. I also do work on government M14 rifles. This policy has saved me a ton of trouble.

Thank you for recommending DGR, but I have to say I agree with Ted's comments regarding not being interested in that type of work. Thanks...Dean-DGR
    Last edited by Dean-DGR; 05-29-2014 at 04:37.

I would contact 7.62 firearms and ask him to warranty it. I also think he should have a warranty on it. He's a former Marine so I would hope he would make it right. Also to add a lot of the early 8.62 firearm receivers had problems. I remember seeing a lot of it on the m14forum several years back.