Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Jungle carbine prices

A local collector has reached out to me as he's getting up there and his kids have no interest. His collection is huge and centers around WW1 and WW2. He is starting with his is WW2 Lee Enfields. Mark IV from 41 to 45 and Mark V jungle carbines. All in good shape with good bores. Some original some rebuilt. He wants 400.00 for any in the lot. I know this is pretty general question but 400.00 seems a little high for a mark IV but resonable for a mark V. Generally what are you guys seeing price wise on average. I only have SMLE's. Would like to add 1 mark IV and one mark V.

I have trouble moving No4 rifles above $250 but they will go for $300 if nice. US Property or Longbranch I can move for about $350-$375 if VERY nice. Many dealers around here want $400-$700 for the same gun (sometimes literally, they buy one of mine and double it). Keep in mind that I like to move my guns, not keep them forever while grinning about what a big number I can draw on the tag.

I see No5 Jungle Carbines for $350-$500. Most are mismatched or fake. A good matching numbers one should be about $500 but many will put $700 on it and keep it for a year or two.

Condition is everything. $400 is probably a decent ballpark figure. If you put them all out at $400 I would almost guarantee you will sell the No5 rifles quickly and be stuck with the No4 rifles.

I only can quote what I see in Texas. Could be $1,000 guns or $100 guns in Kansas. Go to some gunshows, gunshops and pawn shops in your area to get a better idea of the surplus rifle market.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 05-27-2014 at 11:20.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Thanks Guamsst. From what I've seen around here a number IV would go for 300 and a number V 500 . So 800 for both would be fair I think. This guy is a novel on both wars and we discussed the fake issues with number V's. He said he got took on a 1873 carbine he bought 40 years ago (cut down rifle). He said after that he was more patient and did a lot better after educating himself. The point is he only has two number V's because it took him 40 years to find 2 that weren't fake. You should see the amount of uniforms he has.

Sounds like a similar market to Texas.

I have had more than a few people show me "Real" No5 carbines they bought only to see No4Mk1 stamped into the receiver. That's as easy to identify as it gets. I love enfields and arisakas because they normally have the model number stamped in plain sight.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Just a tip. Try to use Arabic numerals for the model and Roman for the mark. Otherwise it gets confusing and hard to follow.

For instance, a No5 vs a MkV:

Huge difference in price too!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Well I pick it up Saturday. He decided he wanted 500.00. I whipped out tape measure to see how far band was from receiver after seeing No 5 electropenciled on it. He laughed and said he'd be concerned about fakes to. He then pointed out everything that was right about it. Most I knew some I did not.

Its a 1945 model. Bore is good. Stock dark no cracks but alot of oil in there. Black finish flaking off some but its acceptable.. He also has the correct bayonet for it he suppose to get me a price.

I've never seen a collection like this. 50 years of serious collecting. Racks of rifles over 200. I counted 10 garands 9 carbines, 6 trapdoors. 20 1903's and A3's 3 Reisings, 20 Lee Enfield big bores and 10 22 trainers, 2 Reminton Mosin Nagants with flaming bomb. 1 loanly but pristine 1894 Krag. Then various french japanese Italian and German rifles..Oh saw 5 Ross rifles. He had an entire peg board wall covered with bayonets and racks and racks of complete uniforms and shelves of helmets. I thought I died and went to heaven.

JB thanks for the heads up. This rifle looks very similar condition wise to the one in your picture. Can't tell about finish comparison though.

Saw a lithgow mkIV carbine for 499 at cabelas here in oregon this week. It was cabelas... So I wouldn't hold it by much. There was another carbine for 500 at a local consignment shop. Seems the going price.
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

If that's what a No5 rifle is going form what are R.I.C. "carbines" worth???

I've seen average RIC's priced from $800 to $1,200 and nicer ones priced "never to sell".

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    Saw a lithgow mkIV carbine for 499 at cabelas here in oregon this week. It was cabelas... So I wouldn't hold it by much. There was another carbine for 500 at a local consignment shop. Seems the going price.
    What is a Lithgow MkIV carbine?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**