1. Default Sight Recommendations for a 1963 Colt Government

My son turned 21 this year and has now turned his attention to shooting a 45. He has a Colt put together at Quantico that has Bo-mar sights and a Bar Sto barrel (similar to a model 70 series that is larger at the muzzle). He is not "sold" on the sights, so we are looking to explore what might be a most current target/carry type sights to purchase. Do target shooters currently use the old Bo-mar stye that is all blued or something else? Thanks for your help! Forgot to mention that neither of us are pistol shooters!
    Last edited by 1903nm; 05-28-2014 at 08:21.

There are several issues I can think of:

Is it a Colt Commercial pistol ("c" prefix) or a M1911A1 made by Colt?

Was it modified by the Marines at Quantico or the F.B.I. at Quantico?

If it was a Marine modified Colt M1911A1 I wouldn't do anything to it and would find a different pistol to put new sights on. It's been a long time since I've had anything to do with a match pistol but when I was in the Army the Marksmanship Unit modified M1911s I saw had Bomar rear sights and a front sight that looked like it was made by a blacksmith with a file. Colt put Elliason sights on the Gold Cup for a long time. I've shot both and I actually preferred the Elliason version. The Elliason sights also have a lower profile if your son is going to carry it. Back in the '70s and '80s it was popular to put Smith and Wesson revolver adjustable sights on M1911 type pistols, I would resist a temptation to do that.
    Last edited by Art; 05-28-2014 at 03:30.

3. Default

Thank you. The pistol has a "C" prefix and was told by the guy we got it from it was modified by the Marines at Quantico. Maybe we just need to shoot it more than the 50 rounds we have done so far and just get used to it.

IMHO there are no better sights for Target shooting than Bomar or Bomar type rear sights. For carry I like something a bit lower along the lines of a Novak. But putting a lower carry type on the pistol would probably require a different and lower front sight. Your pistol was probably built to be a Bullseye match gun and should shoot very well.
    You can never see too many Sun Rises nor enough Sun Sets.

if he had a 2nd slide..........so that he could keep his original as a collector piece, with the 2nd to be modified to use, I'd fit a set of S&W K frame sights, melted into the top of the second slide..... with a 2nd & really a 3rd extractor premilled too........... this really is the least protruding of all sights on a 1911 based carry gun or a Browning High Power carry gun.......... there are dam good 3 dot night sights available in the S&W line............ they cost a lil more........... but if this is going to be his long time carry gun....... I'd do it........... Bomar & Ellisons sights both ride high above the slide.....................
    Last edited by da gimp; 05-30-2014 at 09:26.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

6. Default

Thanks to all for posting replies. Now for sure, we will not change the sights or even think about that. Not being knowledgable about pistols like this, I really didn't realize what my son had. I would ask a couple more questions if someone has the time to respond.
    1) Where would we look to get information on the history of a this pistol? Are there books, articles or other?
    2) Would putting a Springfield long trigger afect the value up or down? I have had one in a small tube for decades and now see where it could be used.
    3) Since this pistol has a collet type bushing, probably that came on the Bar-Sto barrel, does this narrow down the period of when it was assembled?

Again, thanks from a dumb pistol shooter from North Carolina

Post a picture of it.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

always thought BarSto's bushings were of the normal solid design................I can be wrong though............ask my wife, it happened once 34 yrs ago she said.........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Default BOMARS

I've seen BOMAR rear sights mounted 4 different ways. BMX, a "bullseye" sight, mounted high. BMCS, a lower-profile "combat sight", mounted high. And BMCS mounted low. Also, the full rib from BOMAR.

My favorite for a target pistol is either rear sight mounted high with a patridge-type front sight. For a carry/duty gun it's a low-mounted BMCS rear sight combined with a serrated ramp front sight.

YMMV. Good luck and Good Shooting,

Tommy

Follows some pics of a BMCS BOMAR rear sight, low-mounted and melted, on a Colt Combat Commander by Martin Custom Gunsmithing.

Rear View - http://tinypic.com/r/x1xdoy/8
    Right Side - http://tinypic.com/r/2nqfp84/8
    Left Side - http://tinypic.com/r/mwz4g1/8
    Last edited by Texas Red; 06-19-2014 at 01:36. Reason: Correct Misspelling

The trigger would be a non-issue . Change it but keep the original safe . You can always change it back.
    Chris