Thread: Finally got one

Default Finally got one

I had a fairly terrible show in Ft. Worth. $50 in sales on Saturday. Today I sold enough to go look for small stuff to toss on ebay. I passed a table and a guy had a sportered No1Mk3 for $350. I will ALWAYS look a sportered Enfield or Arisaka over just in case it is worth salvaging. The little sign said .22 cal. I picked it up and the barrel didn't appear to be lined. I went to look at the action but didn't get that far before I got excited. Nice crisp N^Z stamp on barrel and receiver. 22 marked correct bolt head and wrist marked Sht 22 instead of No1MkIII, 1915 production. I didn't have the cash but I quit shopping and went back to may table. I was real close to the $350 and within an hour I went back and while I was waiting to ask, the guys wife said he had told her he would do $300. I handed over the money and I was gone. I will ebay the plastic stock set and I have most of the metal fittings already. I am assuming I will have less than $450 into it once restored.

I can't believe I found one that is easily restorable, the exact model I want, and New Zealand marked for a reasonable price. Now just to hunt down a burned out mismatched No1Mk3 or a good stock set.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 05-25-2014 at 08:35.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    I had a fairly terrible show in Ft. Worth. $50 in sales on Saturday. Today I sold enough to go look for small stuff to toss on ebay. I passed a table and a guy had a sportered No1Mk3 for $350. I will ALWAYS look a sportered Enfield or Arisaka over just in case it is worth salvaging. The little sign said .22 cal. I picked it up and the barrel didn't appear to be lined. I went to look at the action but didn't get that far before I got excited. Nice crisp N^Z stamp on barrel and receiver. 22 marked correct bolt head and wrist marked Sht 22 instead of No1MkIII, 1915 production. I didn't have the cash but I quit shopping and went back to may table. I was real close to the $350 and within an hour I went back and while I was waiting to ask, the guys wife said he had told her he would do $300. I handed over the money and I was gone. I will ebay the plastic stock set and I have most of the metal fittings already. I am assuming I will have less than $450 into it once restored.

I can't believe I found one that is easily restorable, the exact model I want, and New Zealand marked for a reasonable price. Now just to hunt down a burned out mismatched No1Mk3 or a good stock set.

Marked N^Z? Isn't that a No.2 Mk IV*?
    Last edited by usmc69; 05-26-2014 at 01:30.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Yep, I have to dig it back out but I think it is marked SHT22 Mk4 (not IV*)

There are MANY variations though. This is exactly what I wanted though and the New Zealand marks are the icing on the cake and cherry on top.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

I dug it out and it is clearly marked SHT 22 MkIV* Not sure where I got confused between Ft. Worth and home. I've been looking for stock sets and things don't look too bad. I can order the parts separately and get a full stock set. I already have several buttstocks so that will save me a few bucks. I can't wait to get it up and running in original configuration.

A while back I picked up a copy of "British .22RF Training Rifles" by Lewis & Washburn. I got it from Amazon as a used book, cost was $3.25 & $2.65 shipping. In the section on the No.2, it talks about the MkIV* as being marked New Zealand, Australian, and other countries ownership markings.

I have a No.2 MkIV*, but it is in L.R. Mine was made at Lithgow. Has a Parker Hale rear sight now. It makes it very accurate.

AJ
    Last edited by usmc69; 05-26-2014 at 06:08.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

I'll look for the book. Mine is in WW1 configuration with standard sights which is what I want. The rear peeps are cool though and not a bad idea to substitute the No1 trainers as No4 trainers with the peep.

I pulled the plastic stock set and put it on ebay. Checked the function with some .22LR dummy rounds and it runs smooth. Also found that my British property Broad Arrow, New Zealand property NZ trainer has South African property marks. If I can just find a flaming bomb, a 7 pointed star and RFI on it now......LOL Poor little thing has gotten around.