Default bore dia of 1918 Remington MN.

What is the cfommon bore dia of an original 1918 Remington barrel?
    Thanks,
    Mickey

Was going to answer quckly "there is no single bore diameter in Mosin Nagants," but then realized you specifically mentioned a Remington. No doubt the American manufacturer would have been more consistant than the Russians in this area, but I don't know the answer. BUT, Here is a link I found extremely educational when I went to determine the bore facts from my Mosin (it works for other rifles as well).
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    Hope to help.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Was going to answer quckly "there is no single bore diameter in Mosin Nagants," but then realized you specifically mentioned a Remington. No doubt the American manufacturer would have been more consistant than the Russians in this area, but I don't know the answer. BUT, Here is a link I found extremely educational when I went to determine the bore facts from my Mosin (it works for other rifles as well).
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    Hope to help.
    The Russian government had their own inspectors in the Remington plant. They were picky, picky, picky as to the required specs @ all stages of production.. at times infuriating Remington personnel who worked largely on a "piece work" basis. Of course the Russian inspectors had good reason in demanding strict quality control. If goods that they'd accepted turned out to be substandard upon arrival in Russia it could mean the end of not only them, but also their families. To that there's the story involving one case of Russian inspector, in charge of inspecting assembled rifles, who had the habit of taking the last rifle off every rack of freshly assembled guns, cocking it and then smashing it butt first onto the concrete plant floor. His objective was to assure himself that the sears had been properly adjusted so that the guns wouldn't go off if they were slammed butt 1st into the ground. Unfortunately his "test" often split the stock, in which case he wouldn't accept the gun, and the Remington assembler wouldn't get paid for his work! One day a frustrated "somebody" filed a sear to hair trigger tolerance, managed to slip a live round into the gun and positioned it on the end of the rack. When the butt stock hit the floor the rifle discharged as planned, sending the round into a high pressure water line suspended from the ceiling above, thoroughly drenching the Russian to the added delight of all who where on the "prank".

I drove a >308 gas check lead bullet through the bore and believe it top be .308.
    I suspected as much being American made.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Mickey

it could run as much as .310 or .311........... or be as small as .307-.308 if the cutters were very worn I'm told..................it should be a decent shooting old girl.......
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter