Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks for all your input guys your knowledge is invaluable. Jim G

"...one private exclaimed to his gunny..." My boss at the gun shop, long ago, had been a CF reservist. Did an MG demo for USMC guys out of Buffalo. 1970's or so. The CF still used 1919 Brownings. Story was told that all the Marines thought t was some kind of brand new Canadian MG.
    Peace time armies don't operate like war time armies do. Kit like ammo belts don't get loaded. Nor do pockets designed to hold C1A1 mags. Actually having something in said pockets is frowned upon. Forget the girl's name, but she said, "Me sir." when asked what she had in her shirt pocket.
    Anyway, using a bandoleer vs a belt means you can drop the thing when having lunch but still have your kit on for when the RSM/Gunny/CSM strolls by.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by 2111 View Post
    Thanks Art, you are making me feel like I am STARTING to get old. LOL I did use the M1 rifle as my service weapon, but not in combat. I was lucky in that President Eisenhower, having seen war, kept us out of another one. Honestly during my 3 years in the Marine Corps I don't recall having ever seen a bandoleer. Only time I had ammo in my cartridge belt was when at the rifle range or during training when blanks were being used.
    I am sure that during war time, depending on circumstances, bandoleers were used along with cartridge belts. I wouldn't doubt that the soldiers in this picture had extra ammo in there pockets, they seem to have it in all available spaces.
    What is that 'soldier' holding in his hand? A cell phone, calculator? Are these guy reanactors? Actors? And his initials scratched in the stock? Hmmmm!
    Last edited by dave; 06-03-2014 at 01:08.

Looks like a TV remote, LOL!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Hershey chocolate bars.
    Chris
    PS , late '45 pic with ribbed keeper on the sling .

I have asked my dad how much ammo he carried into combat. He said standard issue was 80 rounds in the cartridge belt, two bandoleers and eight in the rifle. He said many times thy carried an extra bandoleer or two plus a clip of tracers for spotting purposes. He said their cartridge belt was always full.

The bandoleers could be very useful. A man going back for extra ammo could carry a bunch of bandoleers. They could be easily tossed to another man trapped or cut off. They could double as a sling for a wounded arm, a tourniquet for heavy bleeding, binding for bandages or broken limbs, patches for clothing, fire starter, etc.
    In honor of my father Howard C. Ricks, Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Feb. 1943 - Oct. 1945. Serial No. 813302. Roi-Namur, Feb. 1, 1944, Green Beach 1; Saipan, Jun. 5, 1944, Yellow Beach 1; Tinian, Jul. 23, 1944, White Beach 1; Iwo Jima, Feb. 19, 1945, Blue Beach 1.