Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Could not find my Fireline, but had some Gorilla Braid handy...worked like a charm, so now we know

What #test did you use?

Up until now the only alternative use I had for braided fishing line was in my blue chalk reel. The 20# test makes a nice fine snapline to follow when installing cabinets and trim.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

10#

Sarco has Size1 heads in stock as of today. $24.
    I also have one on ebay that is a bit worn and may go for less or more than that.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

The one I picked up was from Sarco..saw yours on Ebay, looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by budmant View Post
    The one I picked up was from Sarco..saw yours on Ebay, looks nice.
    I certainly would go with Sarco too. Theirs has a fixed price, mine may go cheaper or a Frenchman and a Lithuanian may drive it to an insane price.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose that Frog and Lugen might do if it were a new, unused size 3 bolthead?

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose that Frog and Lugen might do if it were a new, unused size 3 bolthead?
    The size 3 bolt heads I've sold on ebay have all made over $150 and thats selling to crazy Americans who have a fixation about headspace. ( I only have a couple left so may have to save those)

For some reason Enfields do not have headspace problems on this side of the 'pond' - maybe its the weather ?

$150+ USD????

Holy moley!!! Had I known they'd be fetching more return than gold I'd have bought the whole lot instead of one for the spares box. That was a while back when I wanted one of each size just in case. Size 3's were just a few dollars more than a new-in-grease 0.
    In the past there were a couple instances of me swapping out boltheads to a smaller one because someone HAD to have tight headspace. They made it too tight.

Here in the US they (gun writers) used to talk about headspacing and OAL to where the bullet was just slightly back from engaging the rifling. That might be great in a target rifle or high end hunting rifle, but it doesn't do much good in a generously chambered military arm or low end sporter. Couple that to having tighter SAAMI specs and gauges and half the population here thought the sky was falling if something was off just 0.001 from what last months article said.

Who knows what would happen with a 3. I'd probably get $5. It is a weird market. I sold a 1918dated (only the upper half) US sling a few weeks ago. The bottom half was obviously later (WW2 era). I got about $130 out of it to a Lovely Frenchman. When they spend $130 they are not a "Frog"....LOL

I think a big part of the problem in the US is that there are 3 myths floating around. 1.) Without tight headspace you will have poor accuracy 2.) All guns are built with tight headspace 3.)"excessive" headspace is dangerous!!!

I'm not sure how bad your headspace has to be to blow the rifle up in your face but I am thinking it would have to be in the range of ludicrous bad. I had a friend in South Dakota who was obsessed with "Fixing" the headspace on every Enfield he could get his hands on. He said they "Always" had poor headspace. I said it was a battle rifle not a target rifle and I just shot mine, as found, with no issues. I never had bad headspace cause accuracy problems on one with good wood and a strong bore.