Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default No4Mk1 bolt heads

Recently picked up a 1944 Savage that closes on a NoGo gauge..waiting on my Field. It has a "0" head on it now, any hints as to where to get a 1,2 & 3? Numrich is sold out of 2 & 3.

Several generations of American shooters have been convinced by bad information that something mysterious and scary called "headspace" should be checked and re-checked on almost any surplus rifle, especially Lee-Enfields. The truth is less interesting but still worth knowing.

Moderate excess headspace, even a bit beyond normal limits, isn't the terrible danger we've heard so much about. It's not a good thing for consistent ignition or long case life (although handloaders who neck-size or adjust F.L. dies carefully can control this) - but it's not a disaster waiting to happen.

New cartridge cases can normally stretch a lot before breaking. Even with a minimum rim .054" thick and maximum "field" headspace of .074", the resultant .020" end-play is well within the elastic limits of new brass and it's very unlikely a new case will separate even if the headspace is somewhat more than the field maximum (which is pretty rare).

OK, but if one does separate I'm in deep trouble, right? Not really. It seems the short "cup" left behind the break is pretty good at keeping most of the gas where it belongs.

". . . With good strong actions and moderate pressure loads, and especially if the shooting glasses are worn, this trouble is not particularly dangerous, but is annoying and inconvenient. Very little, if any, gas escapes to the rear, because the back end of the cartridge, which remains in the chamber, acts as a seal. In fact, it is just such short brass cups that the Germans have for years used as the breech seals in their heavy artillery . . . In my own experimental firing I encountered at least a couple of hundred such separations, and every one of my several thousand students had to experience and correct this situation several times and I never saw enough gas escape to hurt any one. . . Our riflemen are used to measuring the headspace of their rifles by thousandths, and are prone to become very much alarmed if the headspace gauges two or three thousandths of an inch more than the normal maximum. This is a good safe attitude to take, but it is something like measuring cordwood with a micrometer." - Hatcher's Notebook

Unless you're consistently getting broken cases when firing new ammo or brass, there's not much reason to be worried about headspace in a sturdy old Lee-Enfield.

What Parashooter says about the 303 I've to be true. My only suggestion would be that if you intend to reload for any 303 Brit is that you segregate your brass to each rifle and then neck size only.

You MAY need a new bolt head - but wait and see when you have the correct 0.074" gauge (not a SAMMI 0.070 gauge) - Hopefully you have ordered the correct one ?

If you do need a new bolt head you MAY not need a number 1, or 2, or 3

To save me typing it all out again have a read of the 'attached' link.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...d-Instructions

Very educational...Thanks for posting.

Check Liberty Tree Collectors. They have quite a few No.4 items. I have used them several times with good response
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Interesting post. Glad to have visited this site.

It's an Enfield, shoot it, see if it is accurate. If so, don't worry about it. If not, maybe move up to a 1.....maybe... First, check that the wood fits tight and the bands are all tight as well.

I had a friend who was obsessed with headspace. None of my Enfields have EVER had trouble with broken, cracked or otherwise deformed cases and I have had some that were nearly worn out and had bad headspacing. Actually I can't even recall the last time I had an Enfield with a broken part from normal use. I stocked up on spare parts years ago and I'm selling them off as they are generally useless. I'll keep a firing pin, extractor and a couple of springs......maybe.

The Enfield is the AK of bolt actions. It does not have the tightest tolerances. It's not always the most accurate. But, throw some mud, sand, gravel and snow it's way and it keeps on truckin.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Okay, so my Field gauge comes today and of course the barrel fails. Lousy weather here in NJ this afternoon, so I will try to shoot it over the weekend (for Guamsst). Found that Sarco has #1 heads so will go pick one of them up on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by budmant View Post
    Okay, so my Field gauge comes today and of course the barrel fails. . .
    How do you know the barrel is failing? Could be the bolt or receiver, eh?

Is it an authentic U.K. spec .074" "field" gauge or one of those bogus U.S. .070" gauges designed to drum up business for the parts merchants?