Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp Perry 2014

Amen to that Mark... Sorry that I'm going to miss you this year. I was looking forward to seeing you again. Bob and I will keep the faith for the Krag shooters!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

2. Default

Watched the tail end of the Springfield/Vintage Military Rifle Matches today at Camp Perry and saw lots of 03-A3s and 1917s, a few K31s and Mosin-Nagant 91-30s, but no Krags. Were any Krag shooters out there today? If so, how did you do? Thanks and regards, Rob

I was there today in the morning session, as was Madsenshooter. I met several others who vow to shoot their Krags next year! This is why I think we should have a bunch of Krag shooters together for the match... so people can see what a 115+ year old rifle can do, and recognize it as such!

Paul
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

4. Default

I was in relay 10 yesterday afternoon. Did so-so in the prones, but had to get on my feet in order to become really terrible. When the scores are all posted, CMP is going to chase me down and take back the t-shirt. No question though, Krags are capable, accurate rifles.

Don't worry M2Phil... I embarrassed myself yesterday. I shot relay 7, and I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't snickering at my scores! I shot a 186 - 83 prone-slow, 53 prone-rapid, and 50 off hand! I have my head hung in shame, LOL!

Just to let everyone know, the results from the national matches at Camp Perry are posted on the CMP site. I saw about a dozen Krags listed.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Don't worry M2Phil... I embarrassed myself yesterday. I shot relay 7, and I wouldn't be surprised if the judges aren't snickering at my scores! I shot a 186 - 83 prone-slow, 53 prone-rapid, and 50 off hand! I have my head hung in shame, LOL!
    That's it, Steinmayer. No more Mountain Dew for you. (...and I don't even know if you drink the stuff.) You know how it angrys up your blood.

Well, there is always next year. Start getting your loads ready and practice your standing position shooting. When is the next match in MI and when can you get to a range? Chop chop. Get busy!

Speaking of next year. Just wait until I get there. I will be tied in first place and last place with all of the other Winchester lever action musket and Lee-Navy shooters. So don't be in last place next year with the Krag Boys.

Culpeper
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 07-22-2014 at 06:54.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CJCulpeper View Post
    That's it, Steinmayer. No more Mountain Dew for you. (...and I don't even know if you drink the stuff.) You know how it angrys up your blood.

Well, there is always next year. Start getting your loads ready and practice your standing position shooting. When is the next match in MI and when can you get to a range? Chop chop. Get busy!

Speaking of next year. Just wait until I get there. I will be tied in first place and last place with all of the other Winchester lever action musket and Lee-Navy shooters. So don't be in last place next year with the Krag Boys.

Culpeper
    MOUNTAIN DEW!!!! That must be it. I had a MD the evening before the match. Oh, why didn't you guys warn me.
    Actually, I was using the Harris 200yd cast load with 16gr. Alliant 2400. My 3 (THREE) misses were all high, top of the backer. I'm guessing the slow moving bullet travelling up that long tube has a bit more time to get into the proper angle for low-Earth orbit. None of them "felt" like bad shots.
    Which FP were you all on, Psteinmayer?

I was on FP 80 with my brother-in-law (he was shooting with his Mosin Nagant... well, shooting is a relative term where Nagants are concerned, more like fighting). Madsenshooter was also relay 7 and was on 99. My loads were the same as last year - Hornady 220 gr RN over 40.0 grains of 4350 and a CCI 250 magnum primer. No Mountain Dew (I hate the stuff, and I can't have anything carbonated or caffeinated anyway)... but I WAS still shivering from Saturday's Garand match, LOL. There's a CMP match in Kalamazoo next month that I'm planning on hitting. Hopefully, I'll do much better in that one. I still need a good shooting coat, but I think that may have to wait. Perhaps I'll glue sandpaper to my shirt in the appropriate locations to help my arm to stay put, LOL!

Incidentally, there was a guy two positions over from me (on 82) who saw me with my chargers, and after I talked to him, the guy two positions in the other direction (on 78) got into the conversation... Both have Krags that they wanted to shoot but couldn't rapidly load them. By the time we left, I had 4 different guys asking for my chargers and vowing to shoot Krags next year! SO... the chargers are going back into full production again!

10. Default

Sand paper is too stiff. Try emery cloth then every thing will stay in position. I think you can buy it in bolts like any other cloth. I have suit pattern around here some where. I think it is a double breasted and with a little tweaking leather can be added to the elbows for the prone positions and a dashing Ivy league look.

I look forward to the Kalamazoo range report.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt