Default 1895 Chilean Mausers

Back in the day I bought a nice all matching cartouched Loewe 1895 Chilean 7mm Mauser long rifle for $119. Found it to be extremely accurate, though the sights were regulated for 300 yds & past. I realized all Loewe mausers are antiques and can be mailed to your door. I tracked down an all matching carbine (well used, but quite slick) and a short rifle on gunbroker to complete the set.

Recently took the carbine to the range, The first 10 grouped as expected, then it started to shoot vastly left, off the paper. Any thoughts about this issue, or collecting "antique" '95 mausers.

Jebb

Quote Originally Posted by jebbh View Post
    . . . . . The first 10 grouped as expected, then it started to shoot vastly left, off the paper. . . . .
    Does the rifle still do this AFTER the barrel cools? --Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jebbh View Post
    Back in the day I bought a nice all matching cartouched Loewe 1895 Chilean 7mm Mauser long rifle for $119. Found it to be extremely accurate, though the sights were regulated for 300 yds & past. I realized all Loewe mausers are antiques and can be mailed to your door. I tracked down an all matching carbine (well used, but quite slick) and a short rifle on gunbroker to complete the set.

Recently took the carbine to the range, The first 10 grouped as expected, then it started to shoot vastly left, off the paper. Any thoughts about this issue, or collecting "antique" '95 mausers.

Jebb
    Such a radical change in POI would seem to indicate a mechanical issue. My 1st guess would be that the front and/or rear action bolts have become loose. I can't see the rear sight loosening, but maybe the insert in the front sight base is loose? Did the change in POI change after ten very fast shots were fired? If so, did the original POI return when the barrel had cooled down?

My 03-38 8mm Turk will do the same thing once the barrel is hot. It takes about 20-25 rounds to get the barrel really "HOT", & then it will shoot about 3" to the left. Then I have to let it cool down to get back on track.

Not necessarily an "antique" according to ATF rules. Must be manufactured before 1898, which has nothing to do with the model number/year. You would need a list of serials and dates they were made. For instance 1898 Krags were produced into the 1900's. so there is a known serial number that designates the cut-off.

Actually for sure it is an antique, as Ludwig Loewe trademark ceased to exist before the antique cutoff date. Anything marked Loewe is an antique, tho some of the identical 1895 mausers by DWM are not. Pretty curious that you can have identical firearms and one antique the other not, but that's just playing by the rules.

"Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken Aktien-Gesellschaft (German Weapons and Munitions public limited company), known as DWM, was an arms company in Imperial Germany created in 1896 when Ludwig Loewe & Company united its weapons and ammunition production facilities within one company. In 1896 Loewe founded Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken."

As to the wayward heated barrel, I wasn't able to wait around for it to cool down, so I will sort it out next range trip, but the sights appear rock solid. One friend suggested examining and perhaps shimming the barrel channel.

Did not know about trademark info, thanks for the education. I only collect 98 Mausers so little about those before then.
    Yeh, same rifles, one is antique and one is not---I call it gov. stupidity. They should just make it 100yrs old, so it would be a moving scale, so to speak.

Hi Dave,
    Speaking about 98 mausers, do you know about '43 La Coruna Spanish mausers? I have a .308 sporter built on one, do they have a reputation for soft steel? Is that an issue and how many rounds causes set back or whatever? I was a kid then I wish I'd left it as is.