Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove, or not

1. Default Remove, or not

I hate to post money related questions, but I have a rifle I am ready to sell. It is a 4-digit receiver that looks like it had a 1945 rebuild. All the parts are correct for a 3.4-3.7 million rifle.

Do I remove the receiver and sell it separately? Or sell the whole rifle?

Thanks.

R/Matt
    Last edited by Matt K.; 05-13-2014 at 09:59. Reason: Typo

2. Default

I would sell it whole if its a true late war rebuild. Those are more scarce than early receivers and late war parts.

3. Default

I would have no way of proving it, but all the parts are relatively pristine like they were all new when they went on and the rifle didn't see much service. 5-45 barrel and lock-bar.

If the goal is to realize the most money in this case I would break it down if you can do that yourself and not have to lay out $50 to get it done. The receiver if in good shape is worth at least $400 maybe more. Get another receiver for about $250 and put it all back together. I like early post war rifles and I keep an eye out for nice 3.4 - 3.8 rifles. They have a certain look and if you can replicate that it will be a nice looking rifle.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Keep in mind a receiver only requires an FFL where a complete rifle can be purchased with a C&R. Dean-DGR

Do you have any paperwork from the DCM or the CMP? Either way, the whole rifle would be the way to sell it.

7. Default

I guess it is probably worth $25 to see if there is DCM paperwork. I knew the owner and he had it pre-CMP.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    If the goal is to realize the most money in this case I would break it down if you can do that yourself and not have to lay out $50 to get it done. The receiver if in good shape is worth at least $400 maybe more. Get another receiver for about $250 and put it all back together. I like early post war rifles and I keep an eye out for nice 3.4 - 3.8 rifles. They have a certain look and if you can replicate that it will be a nice looking rifle.
    A 4 digit receiver is worth far more than $400 range.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

I agree, 4 digit receivers will bring more than 400.00 in good shape.

I hate to say this, as I hate to see them broken up, but they are worth more in parts than they are together. It's a shame, but true.