Default New project finally under way.

Had 6 1903a4's in my life, but been itching for a mauser k98 sniper for a while. Was going to convert my old Mitchell mauser byf 43 k98 into a correct looking high turret sniper using the readily avalible Chinese scopes and mounts, till I read the horror shows of how soft and crappy they are.

after research and searching landed an original kahles H/4x60 scope (one of 3 types used on original high turrets) and a set or rings made on original the machinery in Austria.

After a months wait for customs, my original kahles H/4x60 German scope, and high turret mounts (finally arrived

Last edited by Embalmer; 05-13-2014 at 02:37.

2. Default

Robert does incredible work - the mounts are near identical to originals (though, having owned originals and his repros side by side, the differences are there, some deliberate)

I'd replace the stock on that one though - Mitchells sanding monkey overdid that one - the bolt cutout is rounded to Hades and back (should have SHARP, delineated edges)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan'42 View Post
    Robert does incredible work - the mounts are near identical to originals (though, having owned originals and his repros side by side, the differences are there, some deliberate)

I'd replace the stock on that one though - Mitchells sanding monkey overdid that one - the bolt cutout is rounded to Hades and back (should have SHARP, delineated edges)
    I was looking for a proper replacement stock, but the source I knew of disappeared (guy from Norway). So have eye out looking forthe latewar byf type stock with waffenampt.

4. Default

He is in Holland, prices are a little up but where else to go! Just tell him the make of rifle, cupped buttplate or not and go from there. He sells original slings too.
    Last edited by lyman; 03-06-2023 at 08:42. Reason: remove email

nope

who did you get to install the mounts? I've got the scope & leather case off a German sniper that was used to wound my dad during the Battle of the Bulge... .. the claw mounts are there, but I need to pick up the correct mounts and a nice 98K still............
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

And she's done. Will arrive back tomorrow, and I'll put it in its proper stock. Looks awesome if you ask me

Well done
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Stock replacement done. Range tested and got about 2" groups at 200 yards. Going to push back to the300 and 600 lines next week.