Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New find...

Update: Finally got home and shot the piece Saturday. All went well, and I see no sign of any form of stock cracking. Based on how much jacket fouling I am getting out of the bore and the overall even condition of all the parts (i.e. bolt looks about as worn as reciever, which looks as weathered as the Lyman 48 [reads to 125] and the front sight), this rifle has been shot a LOT in this stock. Beautiful bore, and as an added bonus I got a D. W. King "Reflector" front sight. A good friend of mine whose judgement I trust said, "Whoever did that rifle knew what they were doing."

Another discovery. I think this piece has a star gaged barrel. There's a "B/1961" at 12:00 on the barrel just forward of where the issue rear sight would be, about centered between the rear sight and lower band. I thought there was just a nick at about 6:00 on the crown, but that 'nick' is right where the star should be and apparently some were poorly struck.

3. Default

I don't see any reason why a M1922 stock wouldn't work IF the action and barrel are properly bedded.

I am sure Springfield did not pick out any "weak" wood from which to make their M1922 stocks. Walnut is Walnut.

1922 stocks have no recoil cross bolts,. shooting a high power rifle in them will ruin them.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Well, neither do Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, Ruger 77, or almost any other sporting rifle stock. This rifle has been in this stock for a long time and has no evidence of any sort of damage. My gunsmith looked it over and concurred with my initial estimation that this one is properly bedded and should do fine.

Plain Old Dave,

Seasons' Greetings!

I would be grateful if you would PM me the serial number and barrel date of your rifle. Thanks!

And Happy New Year!

J.B.

actually,, Remington 700s , Winchester model 70s, do, have a recoil pin through the front lug...Ruger77s wont do to the angled screw they have..
    enjoy your rifle.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I've been shooting a .30-06 in a .22 stock for quite awhile. Dave in Alaska sent it down to me perhaps ten years ago. I did put a dab of 'glass on the recoil lug, and at the back and that's it. It has held up amazingly well! But hey, I'm a screwy old fart, and it wouldn't be the first time I've "tickled the dragon's tail".......

It DOES have recoil bushings in both front and rear action fastener holes, and it occurs to me this action is more or less pillar bedded.

Darreld, I saw a 1903 Springfield in a M22 stock at the Lumen Christi gun show a couple years ago. It was for sale by the guy I think got it from the guy in Nebesna that passed away. My understanding is the guy had a connex full of gun parts and pieces. Anyway, the stock was split at the tang. I don't know if it had any bedding, kind of doubt it. He also had the M22 bolt that probably came with that stock originally and I bought that. He had no idea where the rest of the gun was. Two nice guns that were bred and got mongrels in the litter. Such as it was back in the day.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."