Default Mauser captured rifles by USSR

I have a very modest mauser collection 1/2 dozen 98's, brazilian, argentine, swedish, also lucky to own a mauser that is actually listed in one of my reference books a model 98r made in 1915 at erfure, its serial number is listed in Mausers of the world.
    but here is the question
    The Russians must have captured gajillions of these things and probably at one time had probably the worlds largest number of Model 98's all captured on Eastern front, They seemed to be pretty smart on their releases of these things, how much $$ did they sell them to and to whom?. Have been told, but i can not see them that the X which denotes russian capture is stamped on the receiver top, have been told that it is not a X but crossed rifles, true??
    How would you have liked the job of stamping all the captured rifles, but in that county you did what you were told or gulag time it is
    wonder how many they had?
    I even have one model 98 that was re barreled with belgian 98 barrel in 3006 with a date of 1944? wonder how that happened. shoots damn well also

The X does represent Crossed Rifles, a Russian military ownership stamp.
    Can not answer about the Belgiam rifle in 30-06 with out more info, RC?, model?, country?, crest?. May be an arsenal rebuild or a bubba.
    What is a 98r? Never heard of one before! And it's Erfurt!
    Sold to whom? look at the import stamp, how much did they pay?, the importers are not talking!
    The rifles were going thru a complete overhaul, no problem to add the stamp. I would have loved the job if it allowed me to buy food!
    The Russians captured a lot but no where near 15 million, the number produced (give or take)!
    Last edited by dave; 05-10-2014 at 04:13.