Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Polishing media for tumbling brass

Besides using walnut or corncob media while tumbling brass what other "stuff" have you used with good results? I have read that rice works well too but haven't tried it yet. This subject came up on the old forum and there was a lot of talk about adding Nufinish car wax to the media since it contains no ammonia. I have used this with good results but looking for something that works quicker. The walnut and corncob plugs the primer pockets so I tried using 100% baking soda since it works good for polishing----a big "no-no". It turns the brass black. I use both a horizonal tumbler and a vibrating type tumbler. My problem is (besides the primer pocket getting plugged) that on tarnished brass I need something more abrasive since tumbling overnight does not always clean the brass enough.

If your walnut shells clog the primer pocket it's either a screen size too small or it's used up. I only use walnut shells with a 12/20 screen size. I add a little Dillons case polish and some alcohol to the walnut shells. Adding too much alcohol makes the media wet and the dust will clog the primer pocket. When it takes too long to polish the brass I throw the stuff away and put in fresh.

Thanks, I used sand once for the tarnished brass. It was too abrasive on the brass and thus wouldn't polish out afterwards. Have you ever used red rouge? The thing about Nufinish is that it adds a wax finish and keeps the cases from tarnishing for a long time. The downside is that it is made for car paints that have the clearcoat finish so there is no abrasive particles in it. I will try the Dillons and alcohol.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-10-2014 at 09:34.

Blog Entries

With the horizontal tumbler, best results will be the wet method with stainless steel pins.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I have both types of tumblers. The rotary one are slower but turn out a nicer looking case. The vib jobs are faster but noisy and I can see the difference in case finish. Thumblers brand are very quiet and I run them overnight. As far as the wet method goes, I don't want to take the time to dry out the cases. A friend uses a ultra sonic cleaner but he has to dry his cases before loading but they look like brand new.

Blog Entries

Once I learned how, drying cases is a snap. In the summertime I put it in a mesh brass bag an put the bag on top of my A/C condensing unit. The hot air moving across them drys them much faster than an oven.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Once I learned how, drying cases is a snap. In the summertime I put it in a mesh brass bag an put the bag on top of my A/C condensing unit. The hot air moving across them drys them much faster than an oven.
    What do you do in winter? Use the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    What do you do in winter? Use the oven?
    If you have a heat pump like I do the compressor is used year round. In the winter the exhaust air may not be very warm but it will still be dry.

Stainless steel BBs.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

Broom and Phillip, I'll try the SS shot/BB's. I see ebay has a lot of listings for such----new to me.