Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on 22LR copper plate ammo.

Just came into a brick of 22LR High Velocity ammo. that is copper plated. What are the pro's and con's of shooting this stuff in good tgt. rifles and pistols. Have always used quality ammo., lubed but no copper plate. This does not appear to have any lube. Thanks in advance.

I shoot the high velocity stuff (36 gr mostly) in .22 pistols with good results. The bullets are lead with a copper wash coating, won't hurt your barrel.

Just think of it as the Berry's Or Rainer bullets of the .22 world .
    I shoot the 40gr solids in all my WW2 trainers . If the Garands , Springfields , Carbines , SMGs , etc. all get FMJ , why not them ?
    Chris

leftyo Guest

there is really no con to copper plated unless you are striving for maximum accuracy. and as someone who has done it for a living, it is plating, not a "wash".

5. Default

Why do they plate the poorer quality bullets.

To make'em look nice?

The copper helps prevent leading of the barrel and acts as a lube in this regard. They do do pick up dirt and junk due to sticky grease lube. They are not poorer quality bullets!
    Last edited by dave; 05-07-2014 at 05:51.

leftyo Guest

as above, they are not a poorer quality bullet. it is just yet another variable added to the bullet when searching for accuracy.

Thank you for the input. So--based on the above comments the copper plated bullets are of good quality however not quite as accurate as a lubed bullet. No down side as far as barrel wear and or erosion. Learn something everyday. Again thanks.

I have no idea where this less accurate stuff comes from! Some documentation please? I use copper plate Win. HP for critter control (I live in the country) and it will group 5 shots, all touching at 50 yds. Will do no better or worse with lead lubed ammo .22 RF do not get errosion, which occurs just ahead of the chamber due to pressure and hot gases. Hi-pwr. rifles use copper jackets and even solid copper bullets and they will wear after thousands of rnds, due to many factors besides the copper. You worry about a non-existent problem!
    Last edited by dave; 05-08-2014 at 05:18.