Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ishapore no.1 mk III modernize project

Hello all. I am knew to the world of posting on forums, and would like some feedback. I have an Ishapore mk 3 that was butchered at some point, so I've been mulling over restoring it to original specs or getting a new sporter stock and possibly a muzzle break. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

2. Default

Some more details on the butcher might help. I just recently purchased a nice Ishapore 2A1, and love the original look. Is your butcher pretty far gone? Here is what mine currently lookslike...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Looks like mine. But I think I need a scope. Can't see out to 100 and 150 meters. Damn I hate getting old.

That is a beautiful .308. Mine is 1942 .303. It's missing the front sight wards and the barrel band. The fore stock has Been filed down to about the front sight. I'll post a picture soon.
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

What kind of accuracy do you get out of your 2a?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    What kind of accuracy do you get out of your 2a?
    I just finished getting her cleaned up, and this week I will check headspace. This weekend is the first planned outing with my 2A1.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hopefully these show what I'm working with....
    Attached Images Attached Images

The parts you need are available, but no longer at $100 for all as a set. Those were "the good old days" of only a few years back.

Springfield Sporters has Ishapore parts. One of several parts dealers out there but they (SS) have everything listed as one-stop-shopping.

Web site: http://ssporters.com/

I was curious about what it might take to get it done nowdays, so as I looked it up I listed it all here for your convenience.

part#

19C- FOREARM, USED- INDIAN - FROM DP RIFLES: 50.00

76 - HANDGUARD, FRONT - USED, with ears from DP Rifle, with Plate: 35.00

One of these:
    1D - BAND, FT. INDIA (SQUARE) : 10.00
    1F - BAND, FT. INDIA, EARLY SOLID : 15.00
    1G - BAND, FT. INDIA, LUG NOT CUT FOR STACKING SWIVEL: 10.00

58B - SCREW, FRONT BAND FRONT, LARGE HEAD : 8.00

57 - SCREW, FRONT BAND REAR: 5.00

2 - BAND, LOWER, STEEL, HINGED : 8.00

69 - SWIVEL, SLING : 4.00

70 - SWIVEL, SLING SCREW : 4.00

Needed: Some bits might be already in a used replacement Forend...so ask!
    37- NOSE CAP NUT (NEW) : 1.00
    20- FOREARM REST (NEW) : 3.00
    21 - FOREARM REST SPRING (NEW) : 2.00
    26A - GUARD, REAR SIGHT: 8.00
    27 - GUARD, REAR SIGHT SCREW: 4.00
    28- GUARD, REAR SIGHT NUT (NEW) : 3.00
    The sight guard nut looks like a screw from the underside of the forend.

It looks as though you still have the inner band, spring, and screw. You can swap those over. Check for a washer in the hole. Those stick and don't readily drop free. The replacement forend *should* already have the washer stuck inside.

They'll take some cleaning up and some fitting which is the norm with any gun parts. There are no real drop-in parts. New ones need fitting and used ones, having been once fitted, usually need adjusting to the next rifle they go to.
    We can help out with tips to make the job go better for you if need be.

Oh!...before getting serious about buying parts, measure the barrel length and give us a pic of the muzzle end showing the front sight. If the barrel has been turned back then recovery/restoration would be a waste of time.
    Last edited by JB White; 05-05-2014 at 12:27. Reason: text added
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Holy crap. You sure went above and beyond with all that info! Thanks! Here is a picture of the muzzle. Rebuilding isn't a priority, as I already have a 1916 BSA no1 mk3, so I'm thinking modernizing it may be in its future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cost being what it is I can understand. However yours is "restorable" if done right. If you think of it as a labor of love and an education then you'll gain in that way. If you choose to sporter, it will cost more. Providing you are looking for a true sporter of course. There are plenty of LE sporters around that would already fill the bill without looking like a surplus barrel chop job. There's really no need to bubba that one any further than it is. Someone else may want to undertake it as a project so you could recoup your money and start all over.

You could toss a plastic stock at it without cutting any metal, along with a no-gunsmithing scope mount, rings, and optics. It would be useable but you would never regain your investment should you decide to sell. You could leave it as-is and use it for what it is.

Doing a correct-type rebuild would pay for itself in the near future, but not today.
    Several options for your rifle. Mull it over a while before deciding. In the end it's your rifle, your money, and your choice. Choose the option which is best for you.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**