Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Ever get flashbacks?

We have Air National Guard Hueys and Cobras that fly over occasionally. My former next door neighbor was a medic in Viet Nam. He said the chopper sounds would give him flashbacks sometimes. Does this ever happen to you?
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Certain sounds and smells in the winter always remind me of boot camp at Great Lakes
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Only once that I remember. I was being tested for sleep apenia and had not had a good nights sleep for months. I would even fall asleep driving. After they put on the CPAP mask I was out quick. And there I was in VN and couldn't wake up. I don't know how long this lasted but it seened like hours. SCARED TO HELL OUT OF ME.
    Last edited by joem; 05-04-2014 at 01:46.

As Smokey said, certian smells or sounds plus the lack of bug sounds. At night when the bugs are loud-then no sound I go into a almost combat mode with the shotgun coming off safe.
    AIM TRUE, YOU MIGHT HIT THE TARGET:

The smell of diesel takes me back to my days in Armor (tanks).

Whenever my wife gets mad at me and goes off, it reminds me of Drill Instructor Sergeant Bowman. They are both equally mean.

The whop whop of Huey helicopter blades especially when I'm in the middle of wherever. At times I smell those smells from 'Nam.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

When I first came home from 'Nam, I really didn't believe the 'flashback' thing. I lived near a USMC base. Heard cannon fire and Hueys all the time, day and night. Never had a problem.

Then one afternoon I was walking down an empty isle in a Safeway store doing some shopping. All of a sudden I heard people speaking in Vietnamese. I broke into a cold sweat and started shaking. One isle over, Mama-san and Papa-san were doing their own grocery shopping.

That's the only occasion that I can recall. Although I do get pissed off when I come across documentaries involving LBJ or McNamara.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

To me, a "flashback" is different than a memory, and what the VA terms "intrusive thoughts".
    Dan (above) had what I would consider a flashback. I have never had one of those, a sort of out-of-body experience. One that is so real it is overwhelming. Although I was in treatment at the VA with some who have.
    I have had certain sights, sounds and smells trigger memories that have lain dormant for years, yes.
    And I have had intrusive thoughts of the war come with no stimulus, out of the clear blue sky. Things I had forgotten about, repressed.
    Last edited by Big_Al; 05-06-2014 at 11:29.

Not anymore and not for a long , long time. As stated some sounds and smells will trigger a memory but I don't register that as a flashback. Only twice can I think of a " flash back reaction " , once , just back from my first tour from Nam and on leave, late night, just went to sleep, a car passed by on the near by high way, muffler was dragging, sounded just like a M60. I woke up on the floor shaking, I remember I was trying to find my gear and was getting frantic about it. There was one other time, my wife knows about it, no one else does, when I had a flash back about the flight my friend ( as those who serve know, friends become closer than blood. ) was killed. That was triggered by believe it or not a police radio next door. sounded just like the FM radio in flight operations. Other wise no, I grew up very hard and very little bothers me.
    Last edited by Ron James; 05-09-2014 at 09:48.