Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Russian captures vs correct

So I'll throw out a question; not many can find or afford an all correct non import marked 98k. What is the going value of a Russian capture 98k vs the original item? Are they considered an authentic historical collectible similar to the Danish M1 ? How much should one pay for a 98k sporter vs Russian capture vs a mix-master vs the holy grail?

Just an M1 guy who likes mausers,
    Jebb

Matched and GI bring back Mausers are going for little more, if any, then a matched original M1 rifle or some M1 carbines, for that matter. And they are a lot more available! An average M1 mixer will still go for 6-800 bucks!
    While RC's have went up the last year or so as the supply goes, down they still are selling for 300 or less. A 98 sporter is out of the question if you are a collector. They are shooters and worth 100-300, I have never bought one. Unlike M1's they can never be brought back to original, every part (or most in late years) is numbered to match and also inspection numbers must be matched for maker and year of manufacturer.
    While I do not own an RC, I think a nice collection could be made with them as there were so many maker code and years available. Not allot of that left now unless you buy from a previous buyer. However they are what they are and will never be hi-ticket items nor increase much in value. A "holy grail" can go from 8-900 up to 1500. Now these are asking prices tho I know some are selling that hi.
    But there are other Mausers besides K98k's out there. I have about 90, 98 Model rifles in collection and only 20 are K98k's. They are not all matched 100%. Look into Czech VZ-24's, FN models, between the wars German models made for export, many going to So. Amer. countries. Yugo also used many Mausers and they can be found too. These are a lot more available and in most cases cheaper, tho some rare models can get awfully hi.
    If you are worried about value increases avoid bad condition and those with ground crests. There are also many arsenal re-builds in excellent condition from Yugoslavia at the present time.
    Got a little long---sorry 'bout that.

Thumbs up

Gotta disagree.
    An all matching, original K98k in exc condition will bring +/- $2000.
    The RCs are now up in the $400+ range.
    Many, including myself, consider the RCs to be a collectable in their own right.
    Since I will never find, nor be able to afford, all of the Borsigwald (243/ar code) rifles in original matching condition I have gone the RC route. I now have all of the years except the first one, an S/243G. I also have all of the Ermas (27/?) except the S/27K. That is about 21 rifles. Some day I'll find the 2 rifles I need to finish both these makers.
    A sporterized 98k would be a good investment IF all matching metal & priced low enuf. You could find a stock and bands of the proper maker and have a better rifle than an RC.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

leftyo Guest

yup, if you find even a russian capture K98 for under $300 it is a piece of garbage.

It is my understanding that usually RCs have parts missing like trigger housing lock screws, cleaning rods, and site hoods.

When the RC first came out I ordered one and was surprised at the condition. It was like new and everything was there. I've shot maybe 5 or 6 K rounds through it. Wish I could sitll get the cheap turkish stuff for pull down components.

I also had, what must have been, a very early RC Mauser.

The ONLY reason I figured it was an RC (aside from the $250 price tag) was the "Ivan shellac" that was liberally/sloppily applied, the modified bayonet lug (it had an "extra" notch for some other using country) and a crudely welded sling swivel to the lower band and another swivel screwed to the bottom of the butt-stock.

All other Mauser features were intact . . . Matching serial numbers EVERYWHERE (including bolt and stock), original finish on all the metal, etc . . .

Rifle shot pretty good . . . given those HORRIBLE sights! --Jim

come to MI, there is a 1937 JP Sauer floating around the gun shows for months now. 1250 bucks, 100% matched,VG condition, original every thing! I have looked at several times but just cannot spent that much anymore. (If I ever did). RC's are still 300 or less.
    With those modifications it probably was not an RC. or another country had at it after Russia.

Mauser collecting in a really serious way is a very expensive and almost never ending process. If I were a serious Mauser collector I would not consider my collection complete without a Russian capture. I would also want an Israeli 7.62x51mm example and a nice '60s sporter with a good aftermarket stock. All these are part of the history of the line.

These weapons come under the "if they could only talk" heading and when you think about their history, issued by the Whermacht, used against the Soviets, captured and rebuilt by the Soviets for possible use as "instruments of liberation" in the cold war. The Soviets did export a good many Nazi captured weapons to "insurrectos" all over the world, there is a famous clip of the Viet Cong which shows a V.C. woman fighter humping an MG 34, very probably captured by the Commies from the Nazis.

The aesthetic complaints of these rifles is usually about what's left off rather than what's been added on. As was said above, sight hoods, cleaning rods, and lock screws may all be missing. The Soviet arsenals didn't want to fool with that stuff, they weren't redoing them for collectors anyhow. Add on stuff was probably added by a user after the Soviets which would make it more interesting to me as well.

What would be really cool, and probably very pricey would be a documented battlefield capture Nazi 98k from a place like Viet Nam.
    Last edited by Art; 05-26-2014 at 07:44.

Thumbs up

I've got 2 K98k VN bring backs. One from the vets widow w/o papers - looked and didn't find them - and the other from Cambodia in 1970 with papers. Boy is that one rough!
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF