Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I did a Boyd's "semi-inlet" 98 Krag rifle stock a couple of years ago. There was no part of the stock that didn't require significant to major work in fitting, inside or out. From the buttplate tang to the forend tip, and everything in between. Everything. External shape, inletting, everything. Grasping grooves were more of a suggestion than a reality. It was a nice enough piece of walnut, but for the money and the work involved, better to start off with a blank. I'm in the process of adapting this stock to a 92/96 action now. As Dick Hosmer has pointed out, it's just a matter of enlarging the cut-out for the bolt handle seat and flaring the wood around it.
    Don't really have any knowledge of these other companies, except for using a couple of the S&S replacement forends, one was great, the other just OK.
    The fellows on this forum are pretty enthusiastic about Krags, and if they can steer you to a better solution to your stock problem, well...

2. Default

Custom Rifle Stocks are located about half an hour from were I live. I've seen them set up at various gun shows, but never noticed any military stocks in their displays. Gave them a call this afternoon. They do make a Krag 96 rifle stock, price range was around $340.00 ?. I was told that they are not drilled out for the rods and oiler though.

3. Default

I think a re-pro forend is the way I am going to go. Any opinions who offers the best ones? Thanks.

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/K...Handguards.htm I believe these folks also make the ones S&S sells.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Default

Guys, there are very nice 1898 Krag rifles everyday on Gunbroker for under $1000, and often under $800 that are real guns, with real markings and that will hold their value (at least until the Democrats completely eliminate the 2nd Amendment). So, why buy a fake (reproduction)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Guys, there are very nice 1898 Krag rifles everyday on Gunbroker for under $1000, and often under $800 that are real guns, with real markings and that will hold their value (at least until the Democrats completely eliminate the 2nd Amendment). So, why buy a fake (reproduction)?
    A big +1!