Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ron, Tuna,
    Thanks to both of you for responding.
    Here is what I've learned from 2 other sources.
    The Iver Johnson 5 shot ,32 cal, hammerless revolver pictured above was sold in 3 variations.
    1st Model (1894-1896. Black powder gun.
    2nd Model (1896-1907). Black powder gun.
    3rd Model (1908-1941). Smokeless powder gun, My gun,--- which has 3 different letter prefexes.
    The letter prefex found under the left grip are as follows.--(1909-1915, "A" prefex. ) (1915-1926, "G" prefex.) (1927-1941, "J" prefex.)
    So, with this info, what's the problem. Well the problem is the letter prefex stamped on my gun does not resemble a "A" or a "G" or a "J".
    If I got very drunk maybe I could imagine a "J", but it would take my imagination.
    I don't think I'll ever know for sure.
    Jim C
    Last edited by jim c 351; 05-10-2014 at 08:07.

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I didn't pull this information from thin air, I went to the excellent reference book ( really , perhaps the only complete reference in existence on Iver Johnson revolvers ) authored by William ( Bill ) Goforth. ' IVER JOHNSON--ARMS AND CYLCLE WORKS FIREARMS 1871-1993 " The last book from this great man on H&R Revolvers has just been published, both available from Gunshow Books. jim c, the patent dates you posted as being on the butt of the gun, were used from 1914 until 1941, you have a Large Frame Hammerless Safety Model, regardless of what the letter prefix is under the left grip, it is a smokeless frame made after 1914.
    Last edited by Ron James; 05-10-2014 at 11:22.

Ron,
    I don't question that my revolver is a smokeless frame and I don't question the patent dates indicating a 1914 to 1940 mfg date.
    I do question the large frame idea. B. Goforth in a post on gun auction.com indicates that the 6 shot 32 is the large frame not my 5 shot.
    My goal in life is to try and determine which one of the 3 variations apply to the gun pictured above. That's why the letter prefixes are important.
    Thanks for replying.
    Jim C

Ron, Thank you for the information on the Goforth book. I shall look for it.

6. Default

I have a .32 IJ that I got from my step father. It has such a stiff strigger pull that your lucky to hit anything if shooting it in DA mode.
    john

Default Iver Johnson 32 S&W

I have an I J 5-shot break-open 32 S&W revolver that came from somewhere in the family... It is in ~95% condition, 6 inch barrel, blued finish, color case hardened trigger and hammer, one-piece unmarked wood grip. Serial number 59310 is clearly marked on bottom of trigger guard. Under the grip on the left side of frame it is marked G 59310. It' been kinda the "red-headed stepchild" of the safe....
    Also have an H&R nickel, hammerless, 5-shot, break-open in 32 S&W revolver in mint condition that (according to Father) belonged to an Admiral FEY (Father spelled it out...F-E-Y). I'm not sure in which military the Admiral served... I google it and get some text in German or TINA FEY!!!!
    Thanks of he I J letter prefix info. Geoff

So it's a "J" from '27 to '41 and not a " B" ?
    The sight I picked that up from sounded like they were good . Sorry about that.
    Chris

J was used in those years for the Small Frame Hammer model in 32 Center fire. Iver Johnson did not use the same prefix consecutively or necessary repetitively. During that time period Iver Johnson used at least 9 different alphabet letters as prefix's. It depended on the model and caliber, and yes there were times when the same prefix was used on more than one model. B prefix was used from 1909 until 1918 on the Small Frame Hammerless 32 S&W center fire .
    Last edited by Ron James; 05-22-2014 at 06:11.

Ron,
    I've been away for the past few days and just now had a chance to read your post.
    According to the info that I found and posted above, some of it by Goforth himself, a 5 shot 32 cal hammerless , like mine, would have an "A" prefex if made between 1909-1915.
    Now you are saying that the same gun, made between 1909-1918 would have a "B" prefex. Are you saying the "A" prefex is incorrect or are you saying that IJ used both the "A" and the "B" prefex during the period between 1909 and 1918 ??? This is the first I've read of the "B" prefex. Did you learn of this from the Goforth book?? If so then you have solved the problem and my revolver was made between 1909 and 1918.
    Thanks for your help.
    Jim C
    Last edited by jim c 351; 05-26-2014 at 06:34.