Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lend Lease SRS check

Are they even listed ? I have a Dec 41 Lend Lease, that I have owned for years, I never thought about doing a SRS check since it was a Lend Lease. the serial is 418189.
    Thx

Default SRS

You have a little better chance of finding something with a four digit receiver
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RCS; 04-29-2014 at 04:06.

There may be an undiscovered document somewhere showing where the rifles were originally shipped to England, but that would be the extent of their recorded history.

I didn't think there would be anything, but thought I would ask. Thanks for looking

I noted on the above table that the 29th Infantry Regiment received a large number of the early Garands. The 29th was the Army's "test" unit and often was the first to receive new equipment.

To my knowledge, none of the Remington M1903s sent to the UK at about the same time showed up on SRS, either.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 04-30-2014 at 05:30.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

I think that by definition lend lease rifles would NOT show up on any SRS documentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but SRS data comes from random mention of individual serial numbers occurring in "in service" documentation such as armory inventory records, dispositions, modifications by base armorers, etc. Lend-lease rifles, since they were usually shipped directly to England, would not have generated such data.

Probably out there in the National Archives or some such place is some documentation on which rifles were sent over, but, as Johnny said, that would most likely be the extent of it.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick, actually it was the 29th Infantry Division (The Blue and Grey) that was issued the first Garands.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Dan, The 29th Infantry Division is a National Guard unit, and they are still in business today....The 29th Infantry Regiment was classified as the Demonstration Regiment and trainers for the then new infantry school in 1919....regards alex

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyo55 View Post
    I think that by definition lend lease rifles would NOT show up on any SRS documentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but SRS data comes from random mention of individual serial numbers occurring in "in service" documentation such as armory inventory records, dispositions, modifications by base armorers, etc. Lend-lease rifles, since they were usually shipped directly to England, would not have generated such data.
    Probably if a document existed showing shipment to England, or one of the other allied countries that received Lend-Lease small arms, they would be in SRS.

For many years the Colt Model 1911A1's made in 1939 were not listed in SRS, but to the best of my knowledge they are all in SRS data now, and the only information given is that they were shipped to the Navy in 1939. It had been common knowledge for years that all of 1939 production was shipped to Sewalls Point, Virginia, to the Navy.