Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I have a friend who was loading a 6mm remington 700 rifle up to the MAX (and beyond as far as I was concerned).
    this was his praire dog rifle.
    He had to use a rubber mallet to open the bolt each time he fired!!!
    One time, he hit the bolt handle and it came OFF of the bolt (it was silver soldered on apparently).
    So, he took the rifle to a custom gunsmith he uses, and the bolt and action in that rifle were destroyed. The metal had turned extremely granular (looked like a bunch of small bee bees).
    Only salvageable part was the stock.
    I was shooting a 243 with a 75 grain bullet (because that was all that was available at the time.........NOT my first choice....but it worked quite well even with the crappy ballistic coef)
    It came out at 3030 FPS. He mocked me and said I needed to crank it up to 3600 or so. I laughed and said, I don't want to work the rifle, or my shoulder hard and besides, the prairie doesn't notice if he died a millisecond sooner or later anyhow.

I remember reading the American Rifleman article about firing the rechambered 6.5 Arisaka. I also read about P.O. Ackley's testing of the Type 99 and if I remember correctly he said the pressure was 100,000 psi.
    I worked at a gun shop for several years and I had a couple of boys come in once and buy a box of 30-30 to shoot on the range. They came back into the shop to ask what caliber the Marlin 336 was that they were shooting. They also had the 30-30 fired cases with them that they had just purchased. The cases were now straight without a bottle neck and were a little fatter. The Marlin was a 35 Remington. One of the guys laughed and told his buddy, "I told you something wasn't right with all that smoke coming out of that gun." I guess the extractor had just enough grip on the rim to allow the cartridge to fire.