Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

The first time I read the story about the 30/06 chamber, I suggested it would be impossible for someone to run a 30/06 reamer into a 65mm50 chamber. Then the story was modified, they changed the part about using a 30/06 reamer, they claimed he drilled the .264 barrel with a 308????? drill.

And then? I said that would not work because the rifle would be without a forcing cone, meaning the bullet would be sized from 308 to 6.5MM/.264. Then they changed that story.

I did say I have a 6.5mm50/257 Roberts reamer, I think nothing of chambering the 6.5mm50 to 6.5mm/257 Roberts,

Then I suggested reaming the chamber to 6.5mm06. I have heard the story about the man that chambered the Japanese rifle to 30/06 three times in the last two months. . I suggested the story start with "Once upon a time etc.".

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Thanks Parashooter! I also read of a Type 99 rifle that was deliberately overloaded with pistol powder, tied to a truck tire and remotely fired using a long string. They shot it many times and could not blow the action up. They did have to hammer the bolt open, but there was no damage.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    By not following your own advice to ignore him you've managed to set him off again! Listen, it's clear FG has some cognitive issues - but he also has considerable experience and sometimes hides useful information among the tangles of his imagination. If you can get past the masses of chaff, there's occasionally a grain of wisdom in there.
    I apologize for bringing it up and will not mention it again.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anthony View Post
    I sure wish you could find that article and post it here as Mr. FG doesn't believe it happened, he called it a rumor. I remember FG years ago on this forum, he left for years. Better to just ignore him, than try and make sense with his rants.
    Matt
    I reserve a special place for those that have the only opinion that counts. They exist only to prove everyone else on the forum incapable of having a sane thought.

Here is the photo from the May 1959 AR article, page 52 and 53. Optical illusion I suppose on the .308 bullets appearing longer after being fired through the 6.5 bore. I guess the owner of the rifle also lied about it kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I reserve a special place for those that have the only opinion that counts. They exist only to prove everyone else on the forum incapable of having a sane thought.

Here is the photo from the May 1959 AR article, page 52 and 53. Optical illusion I suppose on the .308 bullets appearing longer after being fired through the 6.5 bore. I guess the owner of the rifle also lied about it kicking.

Thanks for posting the pics. Talk about strong, that action is the definition of "Bullet Proof"! PO Ackley after WWII was the one that tested numerous military actions for strength. I don't know where the information on his testing can be found. Maybe someone out there knows?
    Matt

The dimensions the OP gave for the cases might indicate this rifle has been rechambered to something else. OK as long as loads have little pressure, but get enough pressure to fully blow the case out.....
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Anthony View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics. Talk about strong, that action is the definition of "Bullet Proof"! PO Ackley after WWII was the one that tested numerous military actions for strength. I don't know where the information on his testing can be found. Maybe someone out there knows?
    Matt
    I've got a copy of the book he authored regarding the testing of military actions. It is quite interesting and I would put it on this site if someone can advise me how to do it.

A while back I talked to a fellow that said he used to reload but quit. I asked him the reason and he told this story: He had a rifle chambered for .30-06. It shot low so he kept adding powder because he thought the bullet was dropping. Soon he couldn't open the bolt so he sent it to the manufacture for repair. Got it back and fired a few more over pressure rounds, locked up again. Sent it to manufacture for repair. Fired one more and locked it up again. This time the manufacture told him not to send it in again or they would scrap the rifle. Thank goodness he doesn't reload anymore and he still has all his parts.

Once upon a time I fired a 8X57 round in a 1903A3 and the only damage to the rifle was a ring in the bore about 1/2 way down the barrel. The 8MM bullet is .013" larger than the .308. The fact the case is shorter is likely the reason there was not a catastrophic failure. Afterwards, I quit using cut down and resized '06 brass to form 8X57 cases. Point being the .268 Caracano bullet is only .004 larger than the 6.5MM.