1. Default Did Colt manufacture any of there own "welded Base" magazines in WWII?

After the spec changed from pin-based to welded-base magazines in mid-1943, did Colt manufacture any of their own welded-base mags? I have not seen a single Colt with a "Colt Manufactured" welded-base magazine on a 1911A1. Did Colt 100% subcontract to the C-L, C-R, C-S mags at this point for the remainder of WWII?
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 04-20-2014 at 10:12.

I'm not sure where the "mid-1943"date you cite came from. I somewhat agree with that time frame for the switch away from pinned base to welded base magazines at Colt. I believe there is good evidence pinned base mags were still being used as late at the 93xxxx serial range. However, Mr. Clawson states that Colt began receiving from M.S. Little and their sub-contractors, Risdon and Scovill, all the tube assemblies with base attached in the fall of 1942 (See page 337 in the big book).
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

3. Default

Thanks Scott. I misled by saying spec change; I should have said when the switch was made from pin-based to welded-base process.

I think I now understand. So on the welded-base magazines, Colt continued to manufacture the magazine spring and the follower; Colt subcontracted the manufacture of the tube and base. Colt assembled the parts and did the finishing.

Sounds about right, based on the info Mr. Clawson provides. The assumption is, having the tube and base provided, freed an area of the factory up to do something else and/or allowed them to better utilize their space and personnel.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers