Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default all original Winchester m1carbine??

New to the forum and have a newly acquired Winchester m1 carbine. As I research this gun, I am finding there are lots of variations. Was told by seller it was his dads bring home. Serial number is in the mid 1200000. I don't know a whole lot about these guns and would appreciate and feedback. Also need a sling and oiler so any help on what and where to get would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

A few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

The adjustable rear sight certainly isn't original to this rifle. The recoil plate, bolt, trigger housing, barrel band, barrel, handguard, and stock look OK. Can't tell if the stock is highwood or low wood. Finish on the metal parts look like they are likely original finish. There aren't enough pictures of other parts to tell much.

4. Default

Mike

From the research i have done, i was guessing the rear sight had been changed. What I don't understand about that is whether the soldier just had added at some point as perfered or if it has gone through a rebuild. And how does that effect it as collectible. What other pics would help. Thanks

Many carbines had the rear sight replaced with adjustable rear sight as a field modification. Not likely the individual soldier did it but at a unit level. Some other pictures that would help would include back of slide (is it round or straight cut), top of front sight, picture of the hammer from side. Really, taking apart the trigger housing group and pictures of markings on individual parts would help if you are comfortable with taking it down and reassembling the trigger group. A picture of the right side of the stock full length with handguard in place would let us know if the stock is highwood or low wood. Pictures of any stamping on metal parts would help, most will have some kind of contractor markings.

Looks like a real nice carbine from the pictures so far.

As Mike said the rear sight is not original to your carbine. But when DCM was selling carbines in the early 60's some had a very few updates done to them, some were completely rebuilt and some had just the rear sight changed. Your might have been one of these.

7. Default

There is a good possibility the rear sight is the original one as installed by Winchester.

8. Default

Thanks gents for you input so far. I took down the trigger assembly and all parts marked with "w". Hammer, trigger, shear, mag catch. Didn't see anything on the safety. Took some pics but not pleased with how they came out. Going to do it again after the Easter stuff is over today. First time to take apart the trigger assembly and it went pretty well. Stopped short of taking bolt apart but i am guessing all marked same there as well. I will add some picks of the stock also. It is a high wood and looks to have the original finish with raised grain. The finish is not as deep burgundy as others I have seen so don't know. Either way the finish is good and stock has some light scratches but basically no dents or gouges. Mike suggested taking a picture of the back of the slide to see if it was square or round cut. I am a little confused where on the slide he is talking about

Brian, Wouldn't this serial number date to about August 1943 time frame and the fact that it's a spring tube preclude it from being a reused serial number at a later date?

Where the slide attaches to the barrel and the recoil spring guide goes into the slide. Does it look like it's a straight across piece or is it rounded?