Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Can anyone tell me more about this 1903 Rock Island Rifle please?

This was given to me by my Grandfather. I have no idea as to the history or anything. Anyone who can help me with this is greatly appreciated! There are two stamps on the stock. One on the side near the trigger states "SAAF" and the other on the bottom rear of the trigger is actually double stamped "P"-one atop the other. Anyone know why this would be like that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by norcalshooter; 04-17-2014 at 06:03.

The receiver dates from mid- to late 1918; the trigger guard is stamped from WWII. The handguard is also from WWII.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Thank you for the info. So can it be assumed this rifle was used in WWII?

You appear to have a rifle that was originally issued to the U.S. Marine Corps. The rifle was manufactured at Rock Island Arsenal during late 1918. The rifle has been through overhaul at San Antonio Arsenal perhaps during WWII, has been refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. I note that the rear sight drift slide assembly is bent, which is a very common anomaly. And as Rick noted, the trigger guard/magazine is from a much later rifle and is probably a recent replacement installed by a previous owner. Someone has, unfortunately, drilled the stock for sling swivels instead of repairing the original swivels, which has detracted from the rifle's value. The rifle is a high number and is considered safe for shooting if in good condition. Your grandfather was very kind and generous!

Hope this helps. Congratulations!

J.B.

5. Default

Thank you for the additional info J.B. I appreciate it and yes my Grandfather was a very kind and generous person.

Hey J.B., I am curious on how you know it was probably issued to the Marines? I thought maybe it was because of the serial number, but I don't really see much on the SRS in this range.

And I don't see anything that sticks out to me at least that points to USMC use. You know me, I love Marine rifles so any chance I can get to learn how to spot them, I want to learn it.

Is it just because it's a high serial number RIA, is that why you suspect it?

i was wondering the same thing, the rifle has no tell tail signs of USMC use...
    other then that, everything is spot on..whats the barrel date?
    some cleaning and oiling would do wonders...and should be a good shooter.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I acknowledge that the rifle has few signs of USMC issuance. But I just have a hunch that it is. It just looks like one.

J.B.

9. Default

Can anyone tell me where this rifle should list in 35th Anniversary Blue Book of Gun Values?

in the none pages...
    no info in that book, can give you an accurate value..
    if you look at auctions that have like rifles, that have sold...that will give you a guideline as to a retail value..
    not an insurance replacement value if i had that rifle for sale on my table at a gunshow, i would ask about 750.00... if someone offered 700.00 they would own it..
    some may say more, some may say less,..
    Last edited by chuckindenver; 04-22-2014 at 02:26.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.