Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Were any M1 Carbines manufactured by Springfield Armory?

The other day I looked at a M1 carbine that had Springfield Armory stamped on the rear of the receiver just behind and under the rear sight. I am not aware of the Govt. Springfield Armory manufacturing carbines. Did the new commercial Springfield Armory manufacture M1 carbines? Thanks for your help.

RCP

might have been SA inc....

usgi carbines were
    Standard Products (at Camp Perry Ohio)
    Saginaw Steering Gear (GM in Saginaw Michigan)
    Inland Division (GM in Ohio)
    Underwood Elliott Fisher (the typewriter company out east)
    National Postal Meter (they made Postal Meters for weighing mail out east)
    Rock-Ola (juke box company in Chicago)
    IBM (International Business Machine out east)
    Irwin-Pedersen (furniture company in Grand Rapids Michigan) who had 3,500 rifles completed but none passed their inspection so all parts were moved to Saginaw and receivers marked S'G'

you may already have known that but in case someone else wanders by this post!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by parrirc View Post
    Did the new commercial Springfield Armory manufacture M1 carbines?
    Receivers, yes. Complete rifles, I do not believe so.

4. Default

Winchester also added to list above.

The original Springfield Armory never made any carbines. They did make replacement parts but never any receivers. Springfield Inc. sister commercial company to R.I.A. Inc. did sell receivers which were sold to people who had all of the other parts needed to put together a carbine. Considered to be very good quality receivers. They were made by R.I.A. and marked SA and sold by them.

Standard Products carbines were made in Port Clinton, not at Camp Perry. The SP plant was on the east side of town. Last time I was there, some of the buildings were still standing. Camp Perry is west of town.
    Last edited by jimb; 04-17-2014 at 01:42.

i was under the impression that the Standard Products buildings were on the west end of Camp Perry. oh well been wrong before and will again. i dont know how i missed Winchester on the list of makers...

The plant is on the south side if main street just east and south of the city hall. They are painted blue and there is a fence around them. You can still see the foundation of the building where the test range was where the bullets penetrated the backstop and went kareening down the street! There has been a so far unsuccessful attempt to make the property into a park.
    Last edited by jimb; 04-18-2014 at 04:44.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    The original Springfield Armory never made any carbines. They did make replacement parts but never any receivers. Springfield Inc. sister commercial company to R.I.A. Inc. did sell receivers which were sold to people who had all of the other parts needed to put together a carbine. Considered to be very good quality receivers. They were made by R.I.A. and marked SA and sold by them.
    Thanks much for the information!

10. Default

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and just found this thread. Here is a history of Springfield m1 carbine production that I came across : http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.htm
    I recently acquired a carbine with a Springfield receiver which led me to research Springfield m1 production. I definitely have carbine fever!