Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool ERMA .30 Cal M1 Carbine Value?

Does anyone have a ballpark idea as to the value of an Erma .30 cal M1 carbine in the 381x serial range? Seems to be in very good condition, but I don't know if it was ever heat treated or not.
    I'd appreciate any informed guesses you may have.
    Thanks,
    john

Those were fairly good commercial carbines. I'd sat $450-$500 in very good condition.

Erma's was located in Steelville Missouri. They made a military and a commercial sporter version. The company was acquired about 1965 by Steelville Manufacturing Co which continued to make the Erma's carbines. This company went out of business about 1967. Trigger housings were cast but the receivers seem to have been machined from steel blocks. I think USGI parts are interchangeable on these carbines. Quality should be very good. Worth more then a Universal or a Fed Ordnance carbine.

I've heard a few negative comments/cautions regarding the lack of heat treating of the receivers. Supposedly makes them prone to failure. Do you gentlemen have any info pertaining to that?
    Thanks for your comments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJohnB View Post
    I've heard a few negative comments/cautions regarding the lack of heat treating of the receivers. Supposedly makes them prone to failure. Do you gentlemen have any info pertaining to that?
    Thanks for your comments.
    I'd be scared of it. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ermas2.html Scroll to the bottom.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks Phil.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

7. Default Erma's M1 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJohnB View Post
    Does anyone have a ballpark idea as to the value of an Erma .30 cal M1 carbine in the 381x serial range? Seems to be in very good condition, but I don't know if it was ever heat treated or not.
    I'd appreciate any informed guesses you may have.
    Thanks,
    john
    Hi -
    I have an Erma's Firearms M1 Carbine....in the very last serial range (they only made 5,621 of them).
    The gun is made up of USGI parts with exception of the receiver and the hammer. Even has a Bayonet Lug.
    The stock is beautiful and the gun is dead-on accurate with never a FTF or FTE.

Receiver Hardness:
    I did do the research on the gun and saw the comments about the receiver. I soon after took the stripped gun to a metallurgist and had it Rockwell "C" scale hardness tested.
    Per my research, the USGI range was RC33-40. This receiver came in at RC18...soft.
    I had my gunsmith tear it all the way down and had the metallurgist heat-treat it back to spec. When it was done, the RC measurement was RC39.
    My gunsmith reassembled the gun and it is a very nice, solid .30 Carbine shooter. Fun little gun

Blog Entries

I wonder how he knew what temperatures to use in the heat treating process without knowing exactly what type of steel it is. He must know his stuff.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The carbine round is not exactly a power house, maybe the softer steel is adequate?
    You can never go home again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The carbine round is not exactly a power house, maybe the softer steel is adequate?
    What is weak about 44,000 psi?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)