Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Hardening Erma's Firearms M1 Carbine Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I wonder how he knew what temperatures to use in the heat treating process without knowing exactly what type of steel it is. He must know his stuff.
    I let the metallurgist know that Erma's specs were 4130 steel for the receiver.
    It turned out really nice.
    The stock is beautiful on this gun - it eats any 30 carbine ammo I feed it. And, per M1carbinesinc, it is 100% USGI compatible.
    Has sights by Rock-O-La, Inland trigger group, Saginaw guide rod, Inland bolt, Inland barrel.
    Only things Erma's are the receiver (heat-treated to USGI Specs) and an Erma's "E" hammer.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJohnB View Post
    I've heard a few negative comments/cautions regarding the lack of heat treating of the receivers. Supposedly makes them prone to failure. Do you gentlemen have any info pertaining to that?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Yes. The worst commercial receiver I've owned was an Erma. Terrible receiver. Soft metal. Slide grooves, bolt grooves were all easily buggered. They should've stuck with the .22. Only good thing was the GI parts on it. The best commercials I've owned have been a Fulton, Springfield Armory and 1st generation Universal. The Universal is an excellent piece with beautiful finish that looks 100% GI. But that only pertains to the 1st gen. The barrel is the weak link, being a soldered from demil'ed Carbine aft end (integral gas cylinder) with 1903 fore end. They sleeve the demil part with a turned down 1903 then solder it together. Had a little later version which came with the rectangular trigger group, but still GI style slide. It was ok, but the 1st gen is outstanding on the receiver.
    Last edited by M1C; 04-16-2017 at 08:25.