Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: case lube

Default case lube

Saw a recipe for case lube using STP and ATF and for the life of me I can't remember the proportions or where I saw the recipe. Anyone use this stuff?

Forget all that stick-gooey-waxy crap. #80-90 gear oil is the best lube. It is for high pressure applications and it is very easy to wipe off. Apply to stamp pad and go for it.

3. Default

I just use RCBS water soluble lube, goes on easy, works wonderfully, and comes off very easy. No messing with nasty chemicals or oils or alcholol etc.

Thanks guys, don't know what I'll try. Also saw where someone used cable pulling compound, it's supposedly water soluble.

The best case lub I found was Dillons. I bought a product called "Fluid Film". Mix it with alcohol solvent (from a hardware store) and spray it on. Looks like Dillon cases lub but way cheaper.

The cable pulling lube you mention works, and Lee case lube is reported to the same stuff (I worked for a large city utility company and had access to some). I don't think I'd try ATF and STP, seems like it would be pretty slickery, but also messy and hard to remove. I like Mink Oil Boot Dressing for case lube. It is easy to apply with my fingers, very little is needed, and it wipes off easily with a paper towel or rag. It can be found anywhere that shoe polish is sold, and I haven't stuck a case (,44 Magnum, .223/5.56, 30-30 or 30-06) in a die yet...
    Last edited by mikld; 01-30-2014 at 10:24.

Thanks again, believe I'll put the STP in my truck where it belongs. It is really sticky and the old '93 GMC needs some of that.

I use Hornady One Shot! Fast, effective, and does NOT affect powder and primers. Spray it on, size, wipe off the excess... Done!!! Oh, and it's inexpensive too!

For what it's worth, I have used PAM cooking spray, which works amazingly well. Just make sure to clean everything very well afterwards. I put the cases in a colander and submerged them in Palmolive detergent, which cleaned the heck out of them!

I had very little luck with Hornady One Shot. Stuck quite a few cases but all I load is mil spec cases and they seem to be tougher.

I'm like Paul using the One shot lube. Have had no problems with stuck cases. Just about anything a little slick can be used as a lube. One old timer told me he used Crisco as a lube. Hey what ever works for you I would say.