Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tompkins View Post
    Perhaps, the Type 30 (Hook safety) and Type 30 Carbine. Both were encountered during WWII. There are 3 variations of the Type 44...Type 1, 2 and 3. You also have the para-trooper take-down examples of the Type 99...the 0 and the 1. Finding these examples at a decent price could keep you busy for a little while. :-) Mike.
    I don't consider the type 30 a WW2 mainline infantry weapon. They were brought out of retirement along with anything that would fire. I only consider the 02/45 because that was a Type 30 based rifle built just for WW2. The paratroopers are a special purpose rifle so I exclude those as well. The Type 44 I have a couple of and the variations are strictly in the nosecap so I don't consider them separate models of the same rifle like I do the 38 Rifle, Short Rifle and Carbine.

My big question now is, do I go after pistols or specialty rifles. The hard to find pistols are harder to find than the specialty rifles but the rifles are generally just as expensive or close to it.

I have a type 14 large and small ring Nambu, Type94 wood grip late war and a Type 26 revolver. So, finding a decent early Type 94 would take care of the main line pistols I guess but the Baby nambu and Hamada pistols I want are $7,500 and $6,000. That'd buy a few paratroopers and snipers. But, both are pristine and the rifles usually aren't.

I think I will go for the Baby Nambu, get the most expensive one out of the way. If I don't have a heart attack shelling out the cash.

I am seriously considering putting my rifles on loan to a museum just for the security. Ofcourse a museum can burn down just as easily, but the public can't view them in my storage room either.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 04-10-2014 at 06:58.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

I am a ways behind you, but I have have 2 Type 99s, a Type 99 long, a Type 38 and a Type 38 carbine

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONFLYDF View Post
    I am a ways behind you..........
    If you have a good 99Long and a good 38 Carbine then you aren't too far behind me. Just about 6yrs and the way this stuff goes you may catch me in a few months. That's what I love about collecting, you never know what will show up or when. I am still amazed at the two I found in Tulsa. Not amazed I found them there, but amazed at how I found them there. Two guys had the concentric circle rifle IN HAND discussing the stock cartouches and didn't know what it was and then passed up a nice looking rifle for $250.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    I don't consider the type 30 a WW2 mainline infantry weapon. They were brought out of retirement along with anything that would fire. I only consider the 02/45 because that was a Type 30 based rifle built just for WW2.
    I am sure that you are probably more read than I, but I seem to recall reading years ago(before the internet) that the Type 30 remained in the field until it was replaced by the Type 38; especially during the campaign in Manchuria/China and the Soviet Union. Type 30 carbines are extremely hard to come by. I believe that production numbers were less than 50,000 for the carbine. Still may be something to consider, especially if you are given the opportunity at a good price! Years ago, my gun-collecting buddy who was big into Japanese stuff picked-up a Type 30 carbine for $75. The dealer thought that he was selling a Type 38 carbine that was missing the handguard and priced it accordingly. My buddy was very happy, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tompkins View Post
    I am sure that you are probably more read than I, but I seem to recall reading years ago(before the internet) that the Type 30 remained in the field until it was replaced by the Type 38 ...... Years ago, my gun-collecting buddy who was big into Japanese stuff picked-up a Type 30 carbine for $75. The dealer thought that he was selling a Type 38 carbine that was missing the handguard and priced it accordingly. My buddy was very happy, indeed!
    The Type 30 indeed stayed on for a while, updated by the navy as the Type 35 and then quickly surpassed by the Type 38 only 3 yrs after that. A decade later WW1 production of Type 38 rifles and carbines for worldwide export ensured the type 30 was banished to the back rooms of warehouses and military schools.There are photos of the Type38 with the soldiers of almost every nation during WW1. By 1939 the Type 38 was basically obsolete due to the caliber. However, war demanded that it not only serve, but that it remain on the front lines and eventually the Type 30, Muratas, Krag rifles and every other thing that went bang and could find ammo was called up for duty although most of the odd stuff was in reserve for defending the main island.

I found almost the same ting as your buddy at the Ft. Worth show. A guy had a Type 38 carbine without handguard, cheap at $200. Except it was a Type 30 carbine with cut down sporter stock and I passed it up because the chances of me finding a stock were almost none to none. I already have a Type22 Murata carbine barrel somewere that I doubt will ever be used for anything. Sometimes, RARE is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 04-12-2014 at 09:11.

I was at the Michigan Antique Arms Collector's show in Novi, Michigan yesterday. I saw a lot of Type 99s, 38s, and even a 44. Also, a lot of parts too. I picked up a cleaning rod, as well as some Jap rounds in a stripper clip (I need the strippers). No luck on a sling though. I would have loved to bring a Type 38 home, but sadly, I am strapped now that I'm laid off... so that wasn't happening!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I wish it was a good 98 long, but it is a cut down stock, but the barrel is intact and the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONFLYDF View Post
    I wish it was a good 98 long, but it is a cut down stock, but the barrel is intact and the price was right.
    I think I have 3 sporterised 99 longs with intact barrels. If I can ever get to the point where I can make good custom stocks I will repop the 99 Long most quickly fast in a hurry.

I don't understand cutting the stock off an leaving all that barrel. I am thankful they did, but it is just such an odd thing to do.