Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I have them all?

I am faced with a stark reality as of Saturday. I may have every model of Japanese infantry rifle of WW2 excluding prototypes and special purpose (sniper and paratrooper).

So, what am I missing? I have the following now:

Type 38
    Type 38 Carbine
    Type 38 Cavalry rifle
    Type 44 Cavalry Carbine
    Type 99 long
    Type 99 Early, midwar and last ditch

Nonstandard rifles:
    Type 38 Artillery spotting rifle
    Type I (1891 Carcano in a 38 stock for Naval use)
    Type 02/45 (a hook safety rifle in a type 38 trainer stock)
    Concentric Circle rifle for Embassy guards or Kempei Tai (secret police)
    Concentric Circle rifle for school use
    and a gaggle of training rifles.

I am thinking the only "Infantry rifle" I am missing is the true last ditch Naval Special but the arguments can go on a while before I call a "Naval Special" an infantry rifle.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Well, I only have the Type 99 early and mid-war, so I gots a ways to go! I'd love to see pictures of your collection though!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I'm going to have to rearrange my wall o guns to get the Japs all on one wall then will take pics again. The Enfields and 03A3s will have to be vagrants for a while..
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Hmmmm I need an Enfield and an 03
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I don't have very many Enfields and only two 03A3s but they aren't going anywhere. The 03A3s are a super good original condition Smith Corona and a 99% condition arsenal rebuild.

The Enfields are my shooters. I'm odd that way, I collect Arisakas but I shoot Enfields.

Photos posted in gun talk under "The haul from Tulsa"

I shoot all of my rifles... well except the trapdoors. My father has them hanging over his fireplace and he won't let me touch them until he's gone! (actually, I have shot the 1873 rifle once, and just refurbished the 1873 carbine).

I'd like an Enfield to shoot... but really, I want an 03 so I can shoot in the Springfield Rifle match at Camp Perry.

If you want a shooter, start looking at sporter rifles. Many of them have hardly been fired as anyone too cheap to buy a hunting rifle was usually too cheap to waste ammo as well. It's hard to find one with a good full length barrel but they are out there and can be restored for a fair price a few pieces at a time.....just something to consider.

Do you ever make it to any of the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors (MAAC) shows? There's one this weekend... I'll be there Saturday afternoon. Sometimes, there is a lot of Jap stuff there. I'll be looking for a correct cleaning rod and sling for my Toyo Kogyo series 31. I'll also be looking for a stock and parts to return my sported Nagoya series 7 to original military form.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    I am faced with a stark reality as of Saturday. I may have every model of Japanese infantry rifle of WW2 excluding prototypes and special purpose (sniper and paratrooper).

So, what am I missing? I have the following now:

Type 38
    Type 38 Carbine
    Type 38 Cavalry rifle
    Type 44 Cavalry Carbine
    Type 99 long
    Type 99 Early, midwar and last ditch

Nonstandard rifles:
    Type 38 Artillery spotting rifle
    Type I (1891 Carcano in a 38 stock for Naval use)
    Type 02/45 (a hook safety rifle in a type 38 trainer stock)
    Concentric Circle rifle for Embassy guards or Kempei Tai (secret police)
    Concentric Circle rifle for school use
    and a gaggle of training rifles.

I am thinking the only "Infantry rifle" I am missing is the true last ditch Naval Special but the arguments can go on a while before I call a "Naval Special" an infantry rifle.
    Perhaps, the Type 30 (Hook safety) and Type 30 Carbine. Both were encountered during WWII. There are 3 variations of the Type 44...Type 1, 2 and 3. You also have the para-trooper take-down examples of the Type 99...the 0 and the 1. Finding these examples at a decent price could keep you busy for a little while. :-) Mike

P.S. Finding the Type 99 Long was a good catch, especially if it has the mono-pod.