I bought a Bushmaster (Bugsmasher?) carbine with the fixed carry handle back in '06. Carried the M16 back in '66 and always liked the carry handle and the simpler sight. After I got it I found that my 60 year old eyes couldn't use iron sights any more! Put a compact 1.5X ACOG on it and I was good to go.

There is a certain amount of contumely put on the BM/Windham guns, but after a bit of tweaking and 3K rounds through it I still like the little fellow. Like all ARs it could stand a better trigger; I put in a nonadjustable Jard 3# pull, and that was a distinct improvement. After about 300 rounds I got a couple of double feeds; I beefed up the extractor with a "D-Fender" grommet, and that was the end of those. Later on I put in a heavier "H" buffer on principle. I also checked and further staked the bolt carrier gas key for insurance. But the upshot is that it has been a decent llittle gun.

By way of comparison I previously owned a Colt CAR in the mid-80s, and have some recent experience with new Colts. The BM/Windham doesn't have the cachet or resale of the Colts or some other Tier 1 ARs, but no complaints here.

Don't care for the .22 adapters, though. Had a CMMG and dumped it in favor of a S&W 15-22...