Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

bowd·ler·ize
    transitive verb \ˈbōd-lə-ˌrīz, ˈbau̇d-\

: to change (a book, play, movie, etc.) by removing parts that could offend people

I checked those bullets that Madsenshooter sent me, and they don't drop into the muzzle... so they should be good to go!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I just refuse to spell things wrong intentionally. I am an engineer, and all of the jokes regarding poor grammar and spelling got a little old about a month after I got out of undergraduate school. And that was 45 years ago.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    I just refuse to spell things wrong intentionally. I am an engineer, and all of the jokes regarding poor grammar and spelling got a little old about a month after I got out of undergraduate school. And that was 45 years ago.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Bob,

What is your discipline? Are you a Civil Engineer? My profession is Land Surveyor.

Within the circle of bullet casters the "other" spelling is appropriate but as you said, there is the non-shooting world out there and we need to put our best foot forward.

All the best from Maine,

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Mark:

Undergrad BS Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Tech.
    MS Marine Engineering, MIT
    MS Naval Architecture, MIT
    O.E., MIT ("professional degree" of Ocean Engineer ~ poor man's doctorate)
    Fire Protection Engineering, School of Hard Knocks (final 7 years in the Navy).

P.S. My Home of Record for awhile was Fryeburg.
    Last edited by Bob S; 04-08-2014 at 07:49.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Go NAVY!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Go NAVY!
    Yup. 5 enlisted, 20 commissioned.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I checked those bullets that Madsenshooter sent me, and they don't drop into the muzzle... so they should be good to go!
    I specialize in fat noses. For cast bullets that is. Keeps them below max magazine length, yet allows them to be stuffed into the rifle's throat. My experiments indicate that the more bearing surface you have, the more accuracy you're likely to get.

Bob's 185 grain fat spitzer shoots pretty good in the cutoff sporter but they are sized to .310.

You don't have the fat one Paul, just above the crimp groove is .305-.306 on yours, the fat one I'm hoping to take to Perry is .310-.311 at the same point. That's really not a crimp groove, it's a cleaning groove, a place for powder residue and lube from previous shots to go. You could load the same spitzers you have in your .308 groove diameter Krag, no problem, no sizing needed, the throat will do the sizing.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-09-2014 at 03:19.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Ahhhhhhh Ok, roger that! I'm heading to the range tomorrow to work on sighting a little more, and hopefully getting er' spot on. I'll let you know how she works out...

Hit the range today. Was doing a nice job of sighting in my scout scope, and fired around 60 rounds, until the scope broke! I am using an AIM long eye relief scope (inexpensive), and the locking ring holding the ocular lens in place popped out and the ocular lens became mis-aligned. I tried to put it back into place and tighten the locking ring, but it won't tighten. Needless to say, I am quite irate about it, and I'll be calling AIM on Monday morning! Below are a couple pictures of the scope mounted with the Kraghaus mount, some cast loads with Madsenshooter's 185 gr spitzer, and my first sighting target!

My 1898 sporter with scope mounted

Close up of the scope mounted

185 grain spitzers provided to me by Madsenshooter

Sighting-in target