Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

In this particular case, it would be a no brainer. The gun was most likely manufactured in Connecticut if made by Colt and was sold where? However, I don't think they need to prove it was moved interstate in order for the law to apply. The Federal Government wrote that law and ATF enforces it. In reality, I don't think they'd be all that interested in one particular instance. However, I for one, wouldn't want to go through the hassle of hiring an attorney etc etc to defend myself or become a person of interest with them. Then of course there are laws that might have been violated at the state level not to mention the possibility of criminal fraud in misrepresenting it as something it is not. It's just too messy to try to play Clarence Darrow or Erin Brockovitch with. YMMV.

Have a case in MI, in all the papers. Felon has 3 guns and is showing 'gun safety' to girl friend. Did several demenstrations and put the gun to his head and killed himslf!
    Guns registered to another owner. Paper says he had them illegally but nothing about investigating/arresting the gun owners. Nothing about guns stolen!
    You think the feds will charge the owners? Doubt it!

And the ATF is not into going after fraud (outside the serial number/maker issue, even that is not about fraud!).

3. Default

You're story is a situation that Darwined itself out and that probably satisifies most law enforcement agencies. Clearly, anyone who let him have the guns might be in violation, but what do you bet they would say the guy must of stolen them and didn't know it. Chances are the local PD will confiscate them all. As far as fraud investigations, that would most likely be by local authorities if someone made a complaint. Fed would probably only get involved if the person committing the offenses was dealing interstate. I don't think you example has much to do with what we're talking about here.