Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which would you get

Looking to get a No4 Mk1 & see a couple that caught my eye. Which is more desireable...a Long Branch, or a US marked Savage?

The one in better condition. Seriously!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I love the Longbranch and you can get Canadian parts easier than Savage marked ones. Parts for both are fairly common though. That being said, The U.S. is very desirable. So as Jb said, get the one you like best.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

the Savage!

Were there two types of rear sight on these? I see them with a flip sight like on a carbine, as well as the "micrometer" sight.

Quote Originally Posted by budmant View Post
    Were there two types of rear sight on these? I see them with a flip sight like on a carbine, as well as the "micrometer" sight.
    Actually there are three types, a "flip sight" a milled micrometer sight, and a more crudely made stamped sight with coarse adjustments. The "micrometer" sight is a big plus in my opinion, especially if you are going to shoot anything besides mil spec ball ammunition.

Also, No 4 Mk 1s are preferable as far as I'm concerned to No 4 Mk 1* models because they have an actual bolt release lever instead of just an open slot in the receiver.

Savage production from 1941 to 1944 is about 1,236,000 rifles. Long Branch from 1941 to 1945 is about 906,000 rifles.

I'd get the model that is the oldest dated. Either maker of the dates 1941 and 1942 are getting scarce. If both are dated equally, I'd go for the Savage because it is American made lend-lease to the British.

Also, if one is stamped FTR, get the other. Factory Thorough Repair means the rifle has been re-arsenalised.

Also, if one has import marks on it, get the other.

Also, check what accessories come with each. Check the buttstock for oilers and bore string cleaning devices.

Get the one with the most original parts.

As another poster suggested, the micrometer site is a plus over the flip sight.

My bottom line is to get the oldest made one.
    Last edited by tmark; 03-30-2014 at 07:55.

FTR is a definite plus in most cases when shopping for a shooter vs. a slot filler. Most British collectors understand that service rifles saw rebuilds while in service. FTR does not detract from value as in American rifles or Mausers etc.
    Bottom line for me is always best condition unless we're talking a rare bird in the mix. All things being equal, there are very few "rare birds" when it comes to No4's.

If it's a 1950 Long Branch, grab it!

Well Longbranch for me. How many grooves are there? X2 on the mic sight.

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    Well Longbranch for me. How many grooves are there? X2 on the mic sight.

KTK
    How many grooves? Somewhere between 2 and 6 depending upon the year and suppliers

Savage took full advantage of the British dispersal production plan, using more parts contractors than Carter had pills. Import marks are practically meaningless on British arms. All were imported or imported back into the USA. The only real downer are those huge dot matrix billboards which have come into use more recently. Vandalism!! More obnoxious than Ruger's "newpaper article" barrel markings.
    Last edited by JB White; 03-31-2014 at 08:36.