Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just got home from the trip to Arlington. Sorry for the lateness of my report, but my phone went haywire and I couldn't post.

Although there were storms in the area, the weather held. Warm, sunshine, and a light breeze. Overall very nice weather to be outside (except for the funeral part). On arrival at the administration building, the gentleman at the reception desk pointed me in the direction of the family room where those attending the Majors funeral were gathered. I looked back at him and said with a smile, "Of course, the loud one." On approaching the room it was apparent that those in attendance had chosen (rightly so) to remember the good times. Laughter emanated from the room where the life of a good man was being celebrated.

After a briefing by the cemetery representative explaining where to line vehicles up for the procession and a prayer by the chaplain, everyone went to the parking lot and moved to the designated place to start the procession. A short drive through the cemetery brought us to the transfer point where the caisson and honor guard waited. Everyone exited their vehicles and moved to the front of the line of vehicles where the casket was moved from the hearse to the caisson. We were then told that those who wished to walk behind the caisson were welcome to if they were up to it, but all vehicles would need to be moved to the street near the grave.

From the transfer point the procession moved to the grave site led by an honor guard of 2 platoons of Marines, a color guard, and a Marine band. The caisson was, of course, provided by the Army's 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, the Old Guard. Arriving at the grave site, the procession was met the Marines who were already in place, the firing party, the bugler, and their commanders. The body bearers moved to the grave site while the honor platoons moved into their positions for the ceremony. During this time those in vehicles dismounted and moved to the grave site.

When all had assembled, the Navy Chaplain performed a short ceremony. Although it was short, it was none-the-less good. During the ceremony the chaplain mentioned different parts of Dicks life, of course with emphasis on his service and the different places it took him. The chaplain also compared Dick to Jesus while making a good point. (Stick with me on this, it's not going to be the way you initially think) The chaplain spoke of how Jesus came to teach and serve and likened Dick's life to Jesus' because Dick dedicated and spent his life serving our country and imparting his knowledge on others. In that way, I can definitely see the comparison and thought it was a good point.

Following additional prayers, the firing party fired three volleys, the bugler played taps, and then the flag was folded and presented to Mrs. Culver. With the ceremony concluded, several of the Marine officers (2 Lieutenant Colonels and a Colonel) and senior NCO's (Sergeant Major) approached individually, knelt down, offered their hand to Gloria, and expressed their condolences. When the Marines were done, those of us in attendance once again offered our condolences. A reception was to be held in the evening. (I was unable to attend so I can't describe the event, but no doubt it truly was a celebration of Dicks life.)

Major Richard Otis Culver, Jr. now rests in Arlington National Cemetery in section 64 on the Marshall Drive side between Arnold Drive and Patton Circle, not far from the Pentagon Monument.

There was a photographer present, as well as a videographer. I'm hoping that there will be an opportunity to view their work. I apologize for not taking pictures, but all I had was my cell phone that takes pictures of a quality slightly better than Matthew Brady's work and my hands were also occupied while praying and saluting.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

2. Default

Thank you very much for the report.

Tom, thanks much for your report and it sure would be nice to have a video or at
    least stills available on this forum........

Great report, Tom. I'm sure that all hands appreciate it too. Thank you very much.

Thank you for the report.....Area 64, I will locate the plot number and pay my respects this summer. Semper Paratus.

Tom,

thanks for attending and for posting your report.

Good on you!

JN

Thanks, Tom

Thanks for the update Tom. Hopefully someone can post pics and some video when they get home.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Thanks Tom...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

10. Default

Folks, I put a link on the main jouster.com page, but you may need to refresh your browser to see it.

To go straight to the photos, the address is http://jouster.com/ArlingtonPhotos.htm

There will be more coming, I just need to hear from Gloria which ones she wants up. Also, there'll be more and better captions, but I wanted to at least get these up for a start. There is also a video coming.

The photos were taken by John Kringas, a VERY talented photographer - I'm grateful that he was available to take them, because they are very, very good. I think Dick would be proud. As we all know, heaven's streets are guarded by United States Marines - and I can't help wondering if maybe Major Culver has started an angelic sniper school up there...
    Last edited by Jefferson Adams; 06-21-2014 at 02:15.