Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

as I under stand the Doe Run shutdown it started back in 2008... Per NRA

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...-december.aspx

"Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter."

can't blame this one on the POS that lives in the big white house

Quote Originally Posted by holdover View Post
    as I under stand the Doe Run shutdown it started back in 2008... Per NRA

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...-december.aspx

"Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter."

can't blame this one on the POS that lives in the big white house
    Yes you can blame him. He could do one of his "Dickatater Wana-Be" acts & over ride the EPA with pen & paper for an execrative order.

Default Don't mix lead with alcohol

A pitcher of Margaritas and a pot full of molten lead definitely can lead to burned feet and ruined clothing.......I make all of the mistakes so you guys don't have to.

Doe runs emmissions were actually better than either Mo.'s DNR requirements or the US EPA standards.... what was killing them was the fact that the entire area down there was heavily contaminated in the preceding 100 years or so........... and these contaminate all te samples being drawn now,............. Doe Run can't win the long term legal wars against a slew of gov't lawyers & regulators that want to be able to brag that they shut Doe Run down...............
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Default lead is totally misunderstood...

The politicians and the EPA does not have a clue.

Here in MO we have a $.50 tax on every lead/acid battery sold. The stated purpose of the tax is it is supposed to compensate the State for all the expense it has incurred in cleaning up discarded car batteries. That is bald faced lie. Ninety seven percent of those batteries are made from recycled lead... nobody throws away lead anymore.

As far as cleaning up "dump sites" there are people out there that would gladly do it for free. Oh, that lake that has eight feet of leadon it's bottom? I guarantee you there are lots of companies that would pay the Government big bucks to have that contract!

BTW, as of today the price of lead on the London Metal Exchange is jost over $1,900/ton. That means recyclers will be paying $.25 - $.30
    /lb. for junk batteries. The average car battery weighs 33lbs. and is worth $7.50 - $10.00. How many people dump $10 bills into the garbage?
    Last edited by RED; 01-25-2015 at 12:46.

6. Default

Reminds me of a guy in 1979 that started a fire while deburring magnesium aircraft parts on a wheel at the company I work for (Boeing)
    He got a nice big pile of magnesium dust built up and somehow managed to ignite it. So what does he do? Threw water on it.

That was some fun excitement!
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 08-01-2016 at 08:06.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The lead is gone now from gasoline but it still can contain hazardous chemicals, the main one being benzene. Gasoline is so thin it penetrates the skin easily as well. Back in my younger days I worked on my cars quite often and got my hands plenty greasy. I used to soak them in what was convenient which was always gasoline. Times have changed.
    As a child in the 70's the grownups called gasoline either red or white. I asked dad the difference and he said put red in the car and use wHite to wash parts!

Matt, IIRC, you have it backwards. The lead smelter that shut down processed virgin lead. There are plenty of smelters reclaiming car batteries and such. I saw some peculiar looking lead batteries at a scrap yard that were cell phone tower back up batteries. The case was lead instead of plastic. I almost bought on for the novelty.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Reminds me of a guy in 1979 that started a fire while deburring magnesium aircraft parts on a wheel at the company I work for (Boeing)
    He got a nice big pile of magnesium dust built up and somehow managed to ignite it. So what does he do? Threw water on it.

That was some fun excitement!
    Class D fires are fun!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I have not read all the posts, so excuse if this has been mentioned. Every safety instruction I ever read said NEVER add more lead to a melted pot. For the very reason of what happened to poster. Get it all in there, melted at once so any moisture or anything else is heated gradually!
    You can never go home again.

Think about it. Heating something cold causes moisture from condensation to form. Single pane windows in winter is a great example.

The weights probably were dry but placing a cold piece of lead into a pot of molten lead can cause moisture from condensation to form and result in a violent steam explosion.

It's safer to allow the molten lead to cool and harden, add more lead and reheat. This was a hard lesson learned by many, I'm sure. Glad you weren't injured.