Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krag at Cabelas

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Did it have the filled in channel for a cleaning rod?
    It wouldn't, because it is a thick-wrist stock. All 1896 changes and then some (stock) seem to have been applied. A fair price perhaps, but no raging steal. That only happens every so often, and we all had our Spring 2014 chance last week!!!!!!

Sorry about the duplicated post!!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 05-08-2014 at 10:21.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of money!

Yep. I know the feeling!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    A fair price perhaps, but no raging steal. That only happens every so often, and we all had our Spring 2014 chance last week!!!!!!
    Understood. I'm still learning how to value the good ones, although I've seen 1898s at gun shows for far more, which is why I thought this was priced low. I'm getting there though, LOL
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Paul, I sorta watch what happens on Gunbroker - it is, like anything else - less than perfect, but it offers, all in one convenient spot, a chance to see numerous (way more than at nearly any show) rifles & carbines, from all over the country, in various degrees of condition, with varying levels of pricing. The true value lies in seeing which guns are receiving bids and which are not. I believe it is a far better indicator of the market than just about anything else.

The only 1894 rifles worth big bucks are those which have not been up-graded. One such was sold, at a ridiculously low price, last week. Properly marketed - better text and MUCH better pictures - that should have brought at least double what it did. I pity the LOL who likely got no more than $75-$100 for her husband's treasure. At least the ignorant (and predatory?) gun-shop owner didn't really benefit much.

That's why I always pay pretty good attention to what you, and a few others say... I know you are always shooting straight with me.

I try to avoid looking at Gunbroker because I get bummed about not being able to afford to bid on any of them. I should start though.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Default 1892/96 conversion

Would 775 be a better price for the rifle. It does have a modified stock. The ramrod hole has been plugged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd still think you could do better elsewhere on a 92/96, but yes, anytime you can get a discount off the posted price it is a plus!

If it has a thick wrist stock, as Dick observed, there shouldn't have been a slot to plug.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I looked again - I must have been wrong - it has a thin wrist, or, I was not looking at the correct Krag. It's at Dundee MI, right? Bob's point above is correct - only thin wrist stocks would have groove fillers.