Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krag at Cabelas

Well, I'll try to get back there sometime this week, and check it out. If I remember right, the stock DID have the scalloped bolt handle cutout, as opposed to the 1898 square cut. The more I think about it... the more I think I should have stolen the checkbook out of my wife's purse and just dealt with her later, LOL.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Just use charger money! LOL! Honey, it's my work! It's probably gone already anyway. I know right where that Cabelas is located, drove past more than once on my way to and from Washtenaw.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm going to venture there on Wednesday just to see if it's still there... but it's probably not. When ever I go there, I check out the library just to see what is in there. Sometimes there's an interesting rifle. sometimes, there's junk being passed off as legitimate! Saw an 1898 cutoff sporter once being passed off as a legitimate 1898 carbine, and WAYYYYYYY over priced!

FWIW Bob, I saw a Madsen there last time too!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Their rifles online are usually grossly overpriced and under-described. And good luck trying to get any questions answered.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    My wife knows that I have guns. That is enough. Past that there is no "need to know" as we are all aware that the "devil is in the details", give her more details and she will surely raise devil.

KTK
    I lived on the edge with strategies like this with my first wife. Had to. I've only lied to my second wife once. She indulges me desires/hobies even when she should say "no".
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Unfortunately, being out of work... my wife pretty much says no to everything these days. The exception right now is I can compete in my matches, but she is even giving me the evil eye about that!

Back to Cabelas today to pick up a couple things... and found that 1894 hidden behind a few other older toys. Here's what I saw:

1894, Serial number 15619. Decent 1895 cartouche. Sharp proof mark, but appears to have been struck twice with the sharp mark about 1/8 inch off what may or may not be a first mark. 1896 rear sight. Rifle looks to be a good condition, with a decent bore... but it's dirty too, and could use a good cleaning. Price is still $849.99.

Did it have the filled in channel for a cleaning rod?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

If not, run back and buy it, you'll make out like a bandit.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I saw no hole or channel for the cleaning rod. It did have the butt trap, but it was empty. I would love to go back and buy it. I think it's a steal anyway... The only thing stopping me is the lack of money!