Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Krag at Cabelas

Yes, it's Dundee Michigan.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Yes it is at Dundee. The filler goes all the way to the lower band if you look close in person. I did not take a pick. I put it on hold as I wanted to wait for your comments. I may be able to do better because cabelas also is running a military appreciation sale for the next couple of days. I'm not a krag guy but have wanted a representative model that may have been used in the span-am war. Most likely wasn't but at least it is early enough. Probably not the best gun for the price but the screws are not buggered up and it looks ok. It's an early rifle so who knows where it has been.
    Regards and thanks for the comments.
    Cc

Hmm, the photos Dick based his "thick wrist" comment on must not have been very good. It's hard for me to tell on my computer screen, which stretches images. It had me wondering as Paul had noted a proper 1895 cartouche. The 92s, 92/96, 96 rifles and carbines probably saw more service in the Span Am War than model 98s, especially in Cuba. 98s didn't make it to the Pacific until about the time of Boxer Rebellion.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm thinking of heading back today or Monday because I need some powder. If I can talk them into it, I'll try and get a couple good pictures... but Cabelas is not known for being friendly that way, so ......
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I detoured to Lansing for daughters graduation on my way to Maine last week. Saw the water tower sign beckoning me in at Dundee and thought about this thread.
    I resisted the siren song and pushed on. Looks like this rifle is still in play, and they are lowering price. Good luck to someone!
    By the way Madsenshooter, your countryside is gorgeous. The rest? Well I'm not a farmer so.............

Default krag 92/96

Here is a picture of the cartouche...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking at the picture, it looks more like 1896... but in person, it looked more like 1895 to me.

It's the camera on my phone. In real life and resized it looks like 1895. Especially if you look at it beside an 1896 cartouche.

Looks like a 5 to me, but I have a couple here to compare it to. The end of the filler was odd compared to mine, they must've had a lot of damage to fix. Could be the rifle saw some action before it got upgraded to 96 standards. Both of mine have a semi-circle out there on the end, one bigger than the other, which corresponds to the width of the filler. 22018 has a filler only .225 wide, it's likely a rifle converted before every leaving Springfield. 12904 is approx .450 wide, must've been issued and got a little wear before upgrade.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Went by Cabelas today and the Krag is no longer there. They told me it was sold. This might be because CPC put it on hold... but anyways, it was no longer in the Gun Library!