Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krag at Cabelas

Default Krag at Cabelas

Saw an 1894 rifle at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan today. Serial number (if I remember it correctly) was 15613 or 13615... something like that. It looked pretty good, with a sharp 1898 cartouche and proof mark. The barrel had decent rifling, but was very dirty. 1896 rear sight. Everything seemed to be correct and functioned well. Price was $849.99. I would have tried to have it follow me home, but the wife was with me, so that would have placed me squarely in divorce court, LOL!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I think you mistook a 5 for an 8 on the cartouche. 1898 was a little late for putting 92s together. One of mine is close to 13615, 13076 is the receiver I have with cracks behind the locking lug recess.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

That may be... I was trying to go from memory. Cabelas tend to frown on you taking pictures of the guns they are selling!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

2 words, LAY AWAY

I would love to do Lay Away... but I'm betting the wife would figure it out, and put the ky-bosch on it! Hmmmmm - I must give this a little further thought!

My wife knows that I have guns. That is enough. Past that there is no "need to know" as we are all aware that the "devil is in the details", give her more details and she will surely raise devil.

KTK

Another possibility is that the 1898 inspection stamp was just that and the stock was a replacement. If the stock was an 1895, look on the bottom of the forestock and there should be a filled-in groove which was used for the cleaning rod on the original Model 1892.

The rifle would be a 1892/96 is so-described.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

If I get back there this week, I'll take a look at that Rick. I'll also try to sneak a picture or two...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Another possibility is that the 1898 inspection stamp was just that and the stock was a replacement.
    A stock with an original bolt handle cut out for a 92 and 96 with an original 1898 cartouch would be a fairly rare bird and likely worth the price of the whole rifle. With aprox. 20,000 Model 96 rifles made in 1898 before the switch over and factoring in field damage and sporterizing, one in original condition could be quite rare. IHO

Apparently it has been sold?

FWIW, I have found Cabelas to have one of the least user-friendly sites in the entire collector arena, especially for military arms - to the point that I just don't bother to go there very often. Add in their ridiculously high prices and looking-down-their-nose attitude, there's not a lot to like.