Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rock-Ola front sight

I bought this Rock-Ola (1,753,xxx with undated Rock-Ola barrel) in the early 1990's from the estate of a weapons accumulator. Anything and everything related to firearms with lots of surplus from the golden age for military surplus in the late 1950's. The carbine is used, but not abused and 100% Rock-Ola with the possible exception of the front sight, marked PO-B. Nothing in Carbine Club records or in "War Baby!" suggest that IBM sent any parts to Rock-Ola. The finish wear of the barrel and the front sight suggest they have been together for a long time. If this was a field replacement front sight, why would the staking of the pin and key be exactly the same as seen on other Rock's with TR, R and RP front sights? I feel that the possibility that this was a clever restoration is zero. I saw another Rock-Ola on Auction Arms a few years ago that had a PO-B front sight with the signature Rock-Ola staking. Anybody have another example or comments on the photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can find no record of Rock-ola ever using any IBM parts; however, they did get some front sights from Underwood in Aug. 43. IUt may be possible, but I think it is unlikely.

In your first picture there appears to be a fine line from the front of the sight to the muzzle which would seem to indicate that the front sight has been off the barrel at sometime. It could be a replacement that someone attempted to duplicate the staking on. Anything at this point is possible but without more information we may never know.

I know that this carbine was in the possession of the previous owner long before people were faking parts and restoring carbines. I see the line that Tuna is thinking indicates the sight was removed at some point. Might have also happened when the sight was originally put on by Rock-Ola. Without the benefit of holding the carbine in your hands and evaluating the entire piece for its originality I can't expect anybody to accept my premise that the sight could be original to date of manufacture. If it is not and was replaced in the field or depot, was the staking of the pin and the key (the same as I have seen in photos of original Rock-Ola's) the standard procedure for stabilizing M1 carbine front sight by an armorer? Maybe beating a dead horse with this. If you experts could see the carbine, in vivo, I think you might be convinced. But as Tuna says....we may never know. I have attached a few photos from other web forums: examples of Rock-Ola front sight staking for comparison. Thanks to anybody who recognizes their photos.

Chuck, If you look at the sight pin on the right side of your sight and compare it to the others in the photos you posted of other front sights I think you can see the difference in them and yours. I really think that your sight was replaced way back in the past. Your pin has been driven in quite hard and enough force to flatten the end of the pin and damage the hole the pin goes into.

Thanks, Tuna. A few years ago there was a Rock-Ola from the next serial number block on Auction Arms. I kept the photos of this very nice looking Rock. Of special interest to me was the front sight (for obvious reasons). I hope that the current owner is not upset if they recognize their "War Baby". Remaining photos to follow.

Additional Rock-Ola photos

Some more photos

I doubt he would be upset but he might be if he knew his rear sight was a repo and I am wondering about the acceptance stamp on the stock. If you look close at the front sight on the bottom of it you can see where it was hit to remove it from the barrel and on the top of it where it was installed on the barrel. So this sight has been on and off a barrel sometime in the past.

As a novice collector of the M1 carbine, I must rely on experts to lead the way. I purchased the previous issues of Carbine Club in 1991 and have been a member since. Original , un-restored carbines show up infrequently in my neck of the prairie. Local guns shows seem to be a poor source for collectible examples and parts. Most of what I see and report on data sheets, unfortunately, is from auction site photos. I realize that collecting M1 rifles and carbines has become hazardous, similar to collecting Colts SSA's, because of repro parts. Please tell me why you think the SI B sight on the auction carbine is a repro?